Director of Graduate Program
Office: 1022D Biltmore Hall
Dr. Ilona Peszlen, Associate Professor, came to NC State from the Department of Forestry at Iowa State University in November of 2001. Prior to that, she was a professor of wood science at the University of West Hungary in Sopron.
Dr. Peszlen teaches wood anatomy and property related courses. Her research emphasis is on juvenile and reaction wood, effects of environment on wood and fiber properties, genetic improvement of wood quality and on properties and utilization of plantation wood.
Dr. Peszlen received her B.S. in Wood Technology (1978), her M.S. in Wood Engineering (1979) from the University Of Sopron, and her M.S. in Higher Education (1984) from the University of Godollo, Hungary. She was the recipient of a Fulbright Scholarship and completed her Ph.D. in Wood Science & Forest Products (1993) at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia. She did post-doctoral research at North Carolina State University, Raleigh and at the University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand.
Dr. Peszlen serves as the current Director of Graduate Programs in the Department of Forest Biomaterials.
- Giles, R., Peszlen, I., Peralta, P., Chang, H. M., Farrell, R., Grand, L., & Horvath, B. (2012). Fungal biodegradation of genetically modified and lignin-altered quaking aspen (Populus tremuloides Michx.). Holzforschung, 66(1), 105-110. [ Article ]
- Xiang, Z. Y., Peralta, P., & Peszlen, I. (2012). Lumber drying stresses and mitigation of cross-sectional deformation. Wood and Fiber Science, 44(1), 94-102. [ Article ]
- Horvath, L., Peralta, P., Peszlen, I., Csoka, L., Horvath, B., & Jakes, J. (2012). Modeling hygroelastic properties of genetically modified Aspen. Wood and Fiber Science, 44(1), 22-35. [ Article ]
- Pasztory, Z., Peralta, P. N., Molnar, S., & Peszlen, I. (2012). Modeling the hygrothermal performance of selected North American and comparable European wood-frame house walls. Energy and Buildings, 49, 142-147. [ Article ]
- Horvath, L., Peszlen, I., Gierlinger, N., Peralta, P., Kelley, S., & Csoka, L. (2012). Distribution of wood polymers within the cell wall of transgenic aspen imaged by Raman microscopy. Holzforschung, 66(6), 717-725. [ Article ]