Breadcrumb Navigation:CNR Home > Future Students > Learning Beyond the Classroom > CNR Engaging Leaders Program
College of Natural Resources Engaging Leaders Program
Priority Application Deadline for Incoming Freshmen and On-Campus Transfer Students: May 5, 2013
Priority Application Deadline for
Off-Campus Transfer Students: May 30, 2013
Notification Deadline for All Students: June 5, 2013
Our Students' Perspective
"Engaging Leaders has helped me
develop my leadership skills and meet
new people in a fun way. Through this program I have made friendships that will last a lifetime. This experience is the best one I have had at NC State.
Katlyn Hardison, Transfer Student, Sport Management
"As a freshman, the tips the program gave me about presenting myself on on a professional level helped me secure a paid internship for the summer."
Jackson Russell, Freshman, Paper Science & Engineering
"It has helped me become more comfortable and acquainted with NC State. Being a transfer student, I was not sure what to expect my first few weeks here at State, but the mentors and advisers made my transition much easier."
Ashley Geiner, Transfer Student, Environmental Technology & Management
"The Engaging Leaders' Program welcome me to NC State and played a vital role in jump-starting a successful college career."
Samuel Freeze, Freshman, Fisheries, Wildlife & Conservation Biology
What is the CNR Engaging Leaders Program?
Each fall, 25 entering CNR students are selected to participate in this exciting program for incoming freshman, off-campus transfer and on-campus transfer students.
Designed to provide the personalized attention traditionally given within CNR, the program emphasizes hands-on learning, real-world applications, and relationship building with faculty, staff, students and community leaders.
Engaging Leaders helps students succeed by offering programming that results in:
- Development of leadership skills in academic, social and public service contexts
- Increase of cultural awareness through diverse experiences
- Professional development through areas such as effective communication, networking, and other career services
- Awareness of academic support services offered through CNR and NCSU including career services, tutoring services, and time management courses
Why become a member of the CNR Engaging Leaders Program?
- Meet other CNR students in a wide variety of majors from around the country and the world
- Identify and develop your personal leadership and communication skill-set
- Become a culturally sensitive individual prepared to enter leadership positions in other organizations on campus and in professional societies
- Learn proper business etiquette to use in a professional environment
- Develop strong communication skills when working with different types of people
- Become part of a group that helps the college
- Learn about new opportunities within the college
What are the requirements for the CNR Engaging Leaders Program?
- Must be entering the College of Natural Resources for the first time in the Summer or Fall of 2013
- Attend the Engaging Leaders Retreat on August 23-25, 2013 (this will be an overnight program)
- Must be free on Tuesday evenings for the bimonthly meetings between 5:30 and 7:30 p.m.
- Participate in a minimum of 3 programs or events each semester
- Must complete the CNR Engaging Leaders Application
Features of the Engaging Leaders Program include:
- Kick-Off Leadership Retreat
- Monthly seminars and events focused on our goals of leadership, cultural awareness, and professional development
- Information on NCSU student involvement, career services and academic support
- Tools to help identify personal leadership styles, strengths, and cultural skills
- Mentoring from upper class students
- One on one advising with CNR staff
- Business Etiquette Dinner & Mix and Mingles with alumni
- Participation in community service projects including an optional spring break trip
What are the costs associated with the Engaging Leaders Program?
- Each student is asked to pay $65 at the beginning of the year. This fee includes:
- Lodging, transportation, materials and most meals for retreat
- All program supplies throughout the year
- Transportation to all events and activities
- Engaging Leaders t-shirt
- Snacks for meetings and special programs
- Scholarships are available for those students who have extreme financial need to cover the cost of all or a portion of the $65.
Any questions should be directed to Tiffany McLean in the Academic Affairs Office at email@example.com.