Associate Professor, Director - State Park Leadership School
North Carolina State University
Department of Parks, Recreation & Tourism Management
Raleigh, NC 27695-8004
- Ph.D - University of Oregon, Eugene, OR
Major - Leisure Studies and Services, June 1992
Minor - Adult Education
- M.A. - Appalachian State University, Boone, NC
Major - Physical Education/Recreation Management, May 1983
Minor - Post Secondary Education
- B.S. - West Chester University, West Chester, PA
Major - Health and Physical Education, May 1975
Minor - Education, K-12
Speciality/Current Research Interests
- Adventure Recreation and Outdoor Leadership, Visitor Impact Management
Other Relevant Work Experience
- 2008 -2010: Editor, Journal of Outdoor Recreation, Education and Leadership (JOREL)
Duties: Responsible for coordinating all aspects of preparing issues of the JOREL for publication each year. This includes soliciting and reviewing manuscripts, working with reviewers and guest editors (as needed), working with and assisting authors in revisions, preparing manuscripts for online publication, copy editing, and coordinating with a copy editor as needed.
- 2006 – Present: Director, National Association of State Park Directors – State Park Leadership School.
Duties: develop curriculum, provide oversite to BOD, manage distance education and on-site programs.
- January 2000 to Present: American Alpine Club, Golden, Colorado. Member, Safety Advisory Council.
- July 1999 to Present: North Carolina Outward Bound, Asheville, North Carolina. Member, Board of Directors, Chair, Safety Committee
- Serenari, C., Attarian, A., & Leung, YF. (in press). Understanding environmentally significant behavior among whitewater and trekking guides in the Garhwal Himalaya, India. Journal of Sustainable Tourism.
- Attarian, A. & Siderelis, C. (2011). Influence of site conditions on climbers’ decisions. Journal of Outdoor Recreation, Eduaction & Leadership. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Attarian, A. (2010). A review of lightning safety education for outdoor adventure programs. Journal of Wilderness and Environmental Medicine, 21(2), 176-177.
- Ewert, A., Attarian, A., Hollenhorst, S., Russell, K. and Voight, A. (2006). Evolving Adventure Pursuits on Public Lands: Emerging Challenges for Management and Public Policy. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, 24(2), 125-140.
Publications (Books, Chapters in Books and Bibliographies)
- Attarian, A. (in progress). Accidents, incidents, & misadventure scenarios: Case studies in the risk management of adventure programs. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Wagstaff, M. & Attarian, A. (Eds.), (2009). Technical skills for Adventure Pursuits: A curriculum guide. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Galloway, S. & Attarian, A. (2009). Rock climbing. In M. Wagstaff & A. Attarian (Eds.), Technical skills for adventure pursuits: A curriculum guide. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- Attarian, A. & Keith, J. (2008). Climbing management: A guide to climbing issues and the production of a climbing management plan. Boulder, CO: The Access Fund.
- Wagstaff, M., Attarian, A. & Drury, J. (2007). Teaching and leading outdoor adventure pursuits. In Adventure education: Theory and application. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
- “What can be done to tear down silos, reduce conflicts and increase collaboration among federal land management agencies and the climbing community?” National Climbing Management Summit, Red Rocks Canyon National Conservation Area, Las Vegas, NV. October 22-24, 2010.
- “Accidents in Outdoor Pursuits – Their Causes and Cures”. 17th Wilderness Risk Management Conference, Williamson, J., & Attarian, A. Colorado Springs, CO, October 14-17, 2010.
- “Lightning Safety Procedures for Outdoor Adventure Programs”. Southeast Association for Experiential Education Conference, Montreat, NC. April 9-11, 2010.
- “The Social Nature of Built Adventure Recreation Environments”. James, W. R., Bocarro, J. & Attarian, A. Coalition for Education in the Outdoors Biennial Conference, Bradford Woods, IN. January 15-17, 2010.
- “Accidents in Outdoor Pursuits – Their Causes and Cures”. 16th Wilderness Risk Management Conference, Williamson, J., Attarian, A. & Capps, K. Durham, NC, October 14-17, 2009.
- “A Review of Lightning Safety Procedures for Outdoor Adventure Programs” (poster presentation). 16th Wilderness Risk Management Conference, Durham, NC, October 14-17, 2009.
- “Building Capacity for Managing Protected Areas: Experiences from U. S. State Parks”. Leung, YF. & Attarian, A. August 2009, Taipai, Taiwan.
- “Lightning: Physics, Myths, Injuries, and Avoidance”. The 22nd Annual AORE Conference. San Diego, October 30-November 1, 2008.
- “Distance Education and Active Learning-One Approach to Prepare Future State Park Managers”. The Biennial Conference on University Education in Natural Resources. March 13-15, 2008, Corvallis, OR.
- “The Status of Outdoor Leadership Programs in US Colleges and Universities” (poster presentation). Coalition for Education in the Outdoors Ninth Biennial Research Symposium. January 11-13, 2008, Bradford Woods, Martinsville, IN.
Selected Projects/Grants Funding
- 2009: “Linking Low-Impact Expedition Guide Behavior and Beliefs: Applying the Theory of Planned Behavior in the Garhwal Himalaya.” North Carolina State University FRPD Individual Program Grant. (Funded $3,800.00).
- 2008: “LUNA” – Leave-No-Trace trainer course on environmental stewardship in urban parks and natural areas. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region IV
Environmental Education Grants. ($18,000.00, proposal currently under review)
- 2005: “LUNA” – Leave-No-Trace trainer course on environmental stewardship in urban parks and natural areas. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region IV
Environmental Education Grants. ($18,000.00 Not Funded)
- 2009-10 - Nominated for Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award, North Carolina State University, College of Natural Resources.
- 2006 - Nominated for Reynold E. Carlson Distinguished Lecturer Award (Indiana University, Department of Recreation & Park Administration).
- 2005-06 - Nominated for Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award, North Carolina State University, College of Natural Resources.
- 2004 - Member of the North Carolina State University Academy of Outstanding Teachers.
- 2004 - Outstanding Teacher Award for 2003-2004. North Carolina State University, College of Natural Resources.