North Carolina State University
Department Of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management
Box 8004, Biltmore Hall, Raleigh - NC 27695
- Colorado State University, Outdoor Recreation Resources, B.S. - 1975
- Texas Tech University, Park Administration, M.S. - 1977
- Michigan State University, Park and Recreation Resources, Ph.D. – 1987
Specializations/Current Research Interests
- Recreation and tourism resource analysis and planning: Survey research design and implementation, inventory, classification, data storage, assessment of natural resources, level of service assessment, public participation in the planning process, and determination of limits of acceptable change in community development.
- Member of Travel and Tourism Research Association (Southeast Chapter Board Member 2003-2006, 2010-2012), Tourism Industry Association of America, and Southeastern Tourism Society.
- Extensive experience in international tourism research and planning which has included an administrative sabbatical position at The University of the South Pacific, Fiji Islands (1999), a teaching sabbatical at CERAM Business School, Sophia-Antipolis, France and University of Innsbruck, Austria (2008), as well as research project work in Mexico, Belize, the Caribbean and Eastern Europe.
Recent Courses Taught:
- PRT 420 Destination Planning and Management
- PRT 250 Faciltiies Maintenance and Management
- PRT 220 Introduction to Tourism and Commercial Recreation
- Tourism Management ~ CERAM Business School
- Sustainable Tourism Planning and Development ~ CERAM Business School
- Strategic Tourism Marketing ~ CERAM Business School
- Tourism Planning ~ University of Innsbruck
- Directing "Visitor Satisfaction Survey ~ Outer Banks, North Carolina" (PI, Outer Banks Visitors Bureau).
- Establishing research initiative focused on visitor perceptions andbehaviors relating to climate change ~ literature review (qualitative meta-analysis in progress), initiation of interdisciplinary concept paper and funding proposal (PI, Submitted to National Park Promotion Council for consideration; 2011, 3 year effort, under consideration). Partnership development includes: National Park Promotion Council (member, Research Committee; Chair Climate Change Research Sub-committee, 2011-present).
- US Travel Association (member, academic research advisiory committee for Leisure Council, 2011-present.
- Collaborative effort to establish People-First Tourism brand for research and outreach identity at NCSU (co-PI, Inventorying non-consumptive utilitarian uses of coastal resources, NC Sea Grant Just-in-Time Grant, 2012, 7 month effort).
- Brothers, G., D. Morais, & F. Muench (2012). Coastal Destination Appraisal: A critical incidents and loyalty assessment. Travel and Tourism Research Association Annual Conference, Virginia Beach, VA, June 2012.
- Brothers, G., F. Muench, & Mitas, O (2012). Climate Change: Coastal Destination Adaptive Management and Resilience. Coastal & Marine Tourism Congress, Dutch Delta, Netherlands, June 2012.
- Mitas, O., H. Mitasova, G. Brothers, & K. Weaver (2012). Managing change at dune landscape. Coastal & Marine Tourism Congress, Dutch Delta, Netherlands, June 2012.
- Supak, S., H. Devine, G. Brothers, & S. Rozier Rich (2012). An Open Source Web Mapping System for Tourism Planning and Management. Travel and Tourism Research Association Annual Conference, Virginia Beach, VA, June 2012.
- Swanson, J.R. and Brothers, G.L. (2012). Tourism policy agenda setting, interest groups and legislative capture, International Journal of Tourism Policy, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp.206–221.
- Müller, S., K. Hallmann, & G. Brothers (2011). Competitiveness of Alpine Destinations: A conceptual approach. Travel and Tourism Research Association European Chapter Conference, Archamps, France, April 11-13, 2011.
- Supak, S., H. Devine, & G. Brothers (2011). Insights into Recreation Demand: a Spatial Interpretation of Users and Federal Facilities. Poster presented at the biennial George Wright Society Conference on Parks, Protected Areas, and Cultural Sites, New Orleans, LA, March 14-18, 2011.
- Mitas, O., G. Brothers, H. Zinn, & H. Mitazova (2010). Using visitors’ reactions to landscape processes to manage a dynamic dune landscape. 5th International Conference on Monitoring and Management of Visitor Flows in Recreation and Protected Areas. Wageningen, The Netherlands, 3 June 2010.
- Greenwood, J., G. Brothers, & K. Henderson (2008). Don’t Sink the Boat! The Plimsoll Model of Tourism Sustainability. Leisure Studies Newsletter.
- Bosley, H., & G. Brothers (2008). Bridging an Interdisciplinary Gap: A Case for Uniting Tourism and Urban Planning for a Consistent Understanding of the ‘Urban Tourist Bubble’. NERR Conference, Bolton Landing, NY.
- Brothers, G. & L. Gustke. “Industry/University Cooperative Tourism Research Centers: An Approach for a Global Tourism Research Agenda.” European Chapter Travel and Tourism Research Association Annual Conference Proceedings, Nice, France, April 23 – 25, 2007.
- Supak, S., H. Devine, G. Brothers, S. Rozier Rich, & W. Shen. An Open Source Web Mapping System for Tourism Planning and Marketing. Submission to The Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing. Under review.