Box 8004, 3033B Biltmore Hall
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-8004
Phone: (919) 513-0771
- 2004 Ph.D. University of Northern Colorado, Sport Administration
- 2001 M.A. University of Northern Colorado, Sport Administration
- 1995 B.A. Pitzer College, Human Biology
Dr. Casper's research interests focus on the role of sport and recreation related to active living and quality of life. Specifically, he binds psychological theory to inform marketing and promotional efforts. Dr. Casper also has a research line related to sport and the environment. He has made numerous international presentations including Active Living Research, the North American Society for Sport Management, Sport Marketing Association, and National Park and Recreation Association. Dr. Casper has published in top refereed journals including The American Journal of Health Promotion, Journal of Sport Management, Sport Management Review, European Sport Management Quarterly, Journal of Physical Activity and Health, Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, and Leisure Sciences.
Recent Courses Taught
- PRT 491 Introduction to Sales and Revenue Generation (Distance Education)
- PRT 250 Managing Park and Recreation Facilities
- PRT 277 Psychological and Cultural Aspects of Sport
- PRT 475 Internship
- PRT 476 Sport Marketing
- PRT 507 (Distance Education) Strategic Marketing Management in Parks, Recreation, Tourism, and Sport
- PRT 595 Sport Marketing and Promotions
- PRT 801 Doctoral Seminar (Co-Instructor)
Selected Refereed Publications
- Casper, J. M. & Harrolle, M. G. (In Press). Perceptions of Constraints to Leisure Time Physical Activity among Latinos in North Carolina. American Journal of Health Promotion.
- Casper, J. M., Pfal, M.E., & McSherry, M. W. (2012). Athletics department awareness and action regarding the environment: A study of NCAA athletics department sustainability practices. Journal of Sport Management, 26, 11-29.
- Bocarro, J. N., Kanters, M. K., Casper, J. M., Suau, L., Floyd, M., & McKenzie, T. (2012). Impact of school sport policy on observed physical activity in middle school children. Health & Place, 18, 31-38.
- Casper, J. M., Bocarro, J.N., & Kanters, M.A. & Floyd, M.F. (2011). Measurement Propertis of Constraints to Sport Participation: A Psychometric Examination with middle-School Adolescents. Leisure Sciences, 33(1), 1-20.
- Casper, J.M., Bocarro, J.N., Kanters, M.A. & Floyd, M.F. (2011). Just let me play!! Understanding constraints that limit adolescent sport participation. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 8(Suppl. 1), 532-539.
- Menefee, W. C. & Casper, J. M. (2011). Professional basketball brand equity in China: A comparison of NBA & CBA team identification. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 9(3/4), 185-200.
- Casper, J. M. & Menefee, W.C.*(2010). Prior sport participation and spectator sport consumption: Socialization and soccer. European Sport Management Quarterly, 10(5),595-611.
- Casper, J.M., Kanters, M.A., & James, J.D. (2009). Perceptions of constraints to NHL spectatorship. International Journal of Sport Marketing and Management, 5(1/2),55-72.
- Bocarro, J.N., Casper, J.M., Henderson, K., Floyd, M.F., Moore, R., Kanters, M.A., Laven, K., & Edwards, M.B. (2009). Physical activity promotion in North Carolina: Perceptions of public park and recreation directors. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, 27(1), 1-16.
- Casper, J.M. & Babkes-Stellino, M.L. (2008). Demographic Predictors of Recreational Tennis Participant's Sport Commitment. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, 26(3), 93-115.
- Casper, J.M., Gray, D.P., & Babkes-Stellino, M.L. (2007). A sport commitment model perspective on adult tennis players' participation frequency and purchase intention. Sport Management Review, 10(3), 253-278.
- Kelley, K. K*, Harrolle, M. G., & Casper, J. M. (2012, May). How can professional teams make more money? An investigation of a National Hockey League team. North American Society for Sport Management. Seattle, WA.
- Casper, J. M. & Pfahl, M. E. (2012, May). The Green Game: Awareness and expectations
of sustainability efforts by spectators. North American Society for Sport Management. Seattle, WA.
- Casper, J. M., Bocarro, J . N., & Kanters, M. A. (2012, March). Middle school sport participation, self-concept, and school belongingness. Active Living Research Conference. San Diego, CA.
- Harrolle, M. G. & Casper, J. M., (2011). Examination of Park and Recreation Awareness and Behaviors for Latinos. National Recreation and Park Association Conference. Atlanta, GA.
- Henderson, K. A., Casper, J. M., Wilson, B. E., & Dern, L. (2011). Importance of reasons, outcomes, and behaviors perceived by senior games participants. National Recreation and Park Association Conference. Atlanta, GA.
- Kanters, M. A., Bocarro, J. N., & Casper, J. M. (2011). School Sport Participation in Middle School: A Comparison of Different Sport Delivery Models. National Recreation and Park Association Conference. Atlanta, GA.
- Casper, J. M. (2011). Behavior change research and influencing “greener” athletics? Presentation for Campus Environmental Sustainability Team at North Carolina State University. Raleigh, NC.
- Casper, J. M. (2011). Sport and U.S. Society. Global Training Initiative, SKEMA Business School. Raleigh, NC.
- Casper, J. M., & Jeon, J. (2011). Sport and Active Living. Sport Scientific Institute, Seoul National University. Seoul, South Korea.
- Casper, J. M. (2011). Strategic marketing management. International Hunter Education Association 2011 Annual Conference. Wrightsville Beach, NC.
- Casper, J.M., & Pfal, M.E. (2011, June). The view from the top: Environmental behavior frameworks of future organizational leaders in sport and recreation. North American Society for Sport Management, Ontario, Canada.
- Casper, J.M., Gacio Harrolle, M. & Palacios, I. (2011, February). Perceived constraints to leisure time physical activity among Latinos. Active living Research conference. San Diego, CA.
- Bocarro, J.N., Kanters, M., Suau, L., Casper, J.M., Floyd, M.F., & McKenzie, T. (2011, February). Impact of School Sport Policy on Observed Physical Activity in Middle School Children. Active Living Research Conference. San Diego, CA.
- Pfahl, M.E., Casper, J.M., & McSherry, M. (2010, October). Integrating Sustainability into Sport Marketing: Developing Sustainable Sustainability Practices for Holistic success in Intercollegiate Athletics Departments. Sport Marketing Association Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Menefee, W.C. & Casper, J.M. (2010, June). Globalization in professional sport: A comparison of Chinese & American basketball fans. North American Society for Sport Management. Tampa, FL.
- Casper, J.M., Bocarro, J.N., & Kanters, M.A. (2010, February). Examining Sport Participation Constraints among Middle School Children. Active Living Research Annual Conference. San Diego, CA.
- Examining the Role of Family, Park Use, and Physical Activity among Latinos in Wake County. Awarded Fall 2011 - $3,900. (Co-PI with Dr. Michelle Harrolle)
- Middle School Sport Policies and Facilities Research Translation - Robert Wood Johnson foundation. Awarded Fall 2010 - $14,877. (Investigator with Dr. Michael Kanters, Dr. Jason Bocarro, Dr. Laura Aiken, and Dr. Seamons)
- An Assessment of Park and Recreation Awareness, Use and Constraints with Latinos in Wake County, North Carolina - Investigating Places for Active Recreation in Communities Grant. awarded Spring 2010 - $3000 (Co-primary investigator with Dr., Michelle Harrolle).
- Middle School Sport Facilities: Policies, Physical Activity, and Cost Effectiveness - robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Awarded Fall 2009 - $100,000 (investigator with Dr. Michael Kanters, Dr. Jason Bocarro, David Carter, Dr. Hugh Devine, Dr. Chrystos Siderelis, Justin Trogdon, Dr. Tom McKenzie)
- School Intramural Sports, Daily Physical Activity, and Lifelong Active Living - Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Awarded Fall 2007 - $200,000, 2008-2010 (investigator with Dr. Michael Kanters, Dr. Jason Bocarro, Dr. Matt Mahar, Dr. Tom McKenzie, Kymm Ballard)
- Outstanding Advisor of the Year, College of Natural Resources, NCSU, 2006