North Carolina State University
Department Of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management
Box 8004, Biltmore Hall, Raleigh - NC 27695
- 2000 Ph.D. - Tourism Marketing, Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina, USA, Chair: Sheila Backman
- 1997 M.Ed. - Sport Management, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio, USA, Chair: Janet Parks
- 1995 Licenciatura - Physical Education, Recreation, and Sports Management, Universidade Técnica de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal, Major: Outdoor Recreation and Sports Management, Chair: Gustavo Pires
Specialty/Current Research Interests
- People-First Tourism: Social-entrepreneurship; IT 4 change; poverty; one health; community-based conservation
- Sustainable Community Development Through Tourism: community well-being and self-determination; endogenous community development; health and human development.
- Relationship Marketing: loyal customer relationships; brand communities; eco-marketing
Recent Courses Taught
- Sustainable tourism
- Tourism foundations
- Deconstructing tourism (graduate)
- Xie, H., Kerstetter, D., Matila, A., Buzinde, C., & Morais, D. B. (2012). Information usefulness vs. ease of use: Which makes a destination website more persuasive? Tourism Analysis, 17(1).
- Schuster, R., Sullivan, D., Kuehn, D., & Morais, D. B. (2011). Relationships among Resident Participation in Nature and Heritage Tourism Activities, Place Attachment, and Sustainability in HRV. Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, 29(3) 55-69.
- Usher, L., & Morais, D. B. (2010). Women’s human agency and self-determination in Guatemalan tourism development. PASOS: Revista de Turismo y Patrimonio Cultural.
- Morais, D. B., Ogden, A. (pre-published online). Initial development and validation of the global citizenship scale. Journal of Studies in International Education.
- Morais, D. B., Lin, C.-H. (2010). Why do first time and repeat visitors patronize a destination? Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing.
- Buzinde, C., Navarrete, D., Yoo, E., & Morais, D. B. (2010). Tourists’ perceptions in a climate of change. Annals of Tourism Research, 37(2), 33-354.
- Morais, D. B., Lee, J., Hou, J.-S., Lin, C.-H., Chick, G., & Yarnal, C. M. (2010). Heritage tourism in Taiwan’s Desinicized nationalism. PASOS: Revista de Turismo y Patrimonio Cultural, 8(2), 277-292.
- Wang, Y., Morais, D. B., & Buzinde, C. (2009). American media representations of China’s traditions and modernity. Tourism, Culture and Communication, 9(3), 125-136.
- Bandyopadhyay, R., Morais, D. B., & Chick, G. (2008). Religion and identity in India’s heritage tourism. Annals of Tourism Research, 35(3), 790-808.
Books or Chapters
- Morais,D. B., Heath, E., Tlhagale, M., Payton, F. C., Martin, K., Mehta, K., & Bass, J.(in press). Concept Testing People-First Tourism in Rural South Africa. (InJafari, J. (Ed.). Tourism Strategies,UN WTO.
- Rodrigues, A., Kastenholtz, E., & Morais, D. B. (2011). O papel da Nostalgia para o turista Norte Americano no espaco rural Europeu. In Costa, C. (Ed.). Estudos Rurais.
- Morais, D. B. (2008). Heritage tourism and nationalism: Current knowledge and research agenda. Heritage 2008 (pp.245-250). Greenlines Institute. Vila Nova de Foz Coa, Portugal.
- Morais, D. B. (2011). Self-determination, human development and tourism entrepreneurship. Presentation at Sparking Social Change Through Design panel seminar, April, Harvard Graduate School of Design, Boston.
- Morais, D. B. (2010). Subjective well-being and self-determination in CBNRM and non-CBNRM communities in namibia. Presentation at the Turismo em Meio Insular Africano Seminar, June, Centro de Estudos Africanos, ICTE, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Morais, D. B. (2009). Subjective well-being and self-determination among indigenous people involved in community-based wildlife tourism in Namibia’s Kunene region. Presentation at the Coffee Hour seminar, Department of Geography, University Park, PA.