RRS Teleconference Series
RRS offers educational workshops through the North Carolina Research and Education Network (NCREN) video conference system at seven to nine sites across the state. Teleconference attendees may earn 0.3 CEUs towards professional certification such as CPRP.
Register Online - payments accepted by check or credit card
- Directions to Sites
- Frequently Asked Questions
- W-9 form for your business office to issue check
- Previous teleconference information & session handouts available in the RRS Library
Spring 2013 Video Teleconference Series
Wednesday, February 6--Park Maintenance:
RRS' annual Park Maintenance teleconference is presented this year in three parts.
- Zach Manor, Urban Forester with the City of Raleigh Parks and Recreation Department will discuss the maintenance of trees in a park setting to include planting, pruning, mulching, and an overview of the Urban Forestry Program in Raleigh.
- Tim Johnson, Western Trails Specialist with the North Carolina State Trails Program will share methods of maintaining natural surface trails in parks, and on trails like the Mountains-to-Sea Trail and the Appalachian Trail. Specific areas of discussion include stabilizing, drainage repair, and clearing.
- David Griffin, Park Maintenance Supervisor in Rocky Mount, and Steve Warren, Rocky Mount Parks and Recreation Interim Director will discuss maintenance of picnic shelters, rest rooms, benches, playground equipment, fences, signs, and bridges.
Wednesday, March 6 -- Summer Camps:
- Katie Johnson with the American Camp Association will lead a discussion on crisis hotlines and how to prepare for "this could never happen in my youth program". This will be an interactive teleconference as Katie leads us into a breakout session where participants will review a case scenario and complie a mock report.
- Kelly Gaines of the United States Tennis Association, and Jamie Knowles-Griffith discuss the partnership between the NC Center for Afterschool Programs and USTA to provide tennis training through afterschool programs.
Wednesday, April 3 -- Emergency Preparedness
- Doug Robinson of the North Carolina Justice Academy will describe how to assess your facilities in terms of safety in the event of an active shooter. Doug will also guide us through how to create an emergency response plan. This teleconference will be informative and interactive, as participants will work together to draft the components of their own plans.
- Alan Gill, Director for Henderson-Vance Recreation and Parks will also join us to share how his department created an emergency plan following an incident at their community center.
Wednesday, May 1 -- Economic Impact of Parks
It is known that parks, greenways, open space and community-sponsored events are known for their aesthetic value and recreational opportunities, however, we also know that such areas have the opportunity to improve the health of local economies. With this teleconference, participants will learn:
- How to encourage professionals and citizens to use economic concepts as part of their effort to protect and promote recreational facilities, trails, programs, festivals and events
- Provide examples of how parks and recreation have benefited local and regional economies
- Demonstrate how to determine the potential economic impacts of such projects
Session handouts and presentation slides from RRS' Spring 2013 and Fall 2012 Video Teleconference Series are available in the RRS Library
Access to video recordings of any Spring 2013 Teleconference is available for $10.
Please e-mail or call Jenn Beedle to purchase access to the recordings.
Video recordings of Fall 2012 teleconferences are available free of charge and are also available in the RRS Library.
- When are teleconferences held?
- What is the cost and how do I register?
- Where are the sites?
- How do I get CEU's?
- Will you add me to the mailing list?
- May I suggest a Teleconference Topic?
Teleconferences are held from 9:00 am – 12:00 noon on the first Wednesday of each month from August through May. Check the calendar to confirm date, time and location of each session.
Cost is $35 per person; registration is required to reserve a seat as space is limited for some sites. Register online with option to pay by credit card or check. Checks payable to NCSU should be sent to the main RRS office with your registration form. You may fax your registration form to reserve your space, then mail your form and check to our office. You may also bring your check to the site the day of the teleconference.
NOTE: if your business office needs a completed NC State University W-9, Tax Payers Identification Number and certification, click here to download.
Teleconference Sites: Click on links below for directions to each site and site updates.
- Asheville: UNC Asheville
- Boone: Appalachian State University
- Charlotte: UNC Charlotte
- Elizabeth City: Elizabeth City State University
- Greenville: East Carolina University
- Morehead City: Institute of Marine Sciences
- Mount Olive: Mount Olive College
- Pembroke: UNC-Pembroke
- Raleigh/ NCSU
- Raleigh / Durham: RTP - Research Triangle Park
- Rocky Mount Gateway Technology Center
- Wilmington: UNC Wilmington
- Winston-Salem: Winston-Salem State University
CEU's are recorded through the McKimmon Center’s Office of Professional Development at NCSU. You must sign CEU registration form at the teleconference site. RRS will send a letter to each qualified attendee showing the number of CEU credits earned for that particular teleconference. After the first teleconference in which you request CEU's, a NC State ID# will be assigned to you. That number will be included in the letter sent to you from RRS.
Please contact the main RRS office for questions about or to obtain information on the teleconferences you attended.
If you require an official University transcript listing of all recent teleconferences and the total number of CEU's earned, a record may be obtained 60 days after a program completion date by writing:
Office of the Registrar
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7313
This request must include your:
- Your full name (including your middle name)
- Birth date (in lieu of social security number, your date of birth is required as a personal identifier by this university)
- Your current address and
- Your NC State Personal ID#
- A check or money order in the amount of $10.00 made payable to North Carolina State University
Send us your name, title and mailing address to be added our snail mail mailing list and receive teleconference brochures. Let us know what subject area you are most interested in. You may also contact our main office to add or make changes to your name and mailing address. Send an e-mail to Pete Armstrong, or contact the main RRS office.
Please let us know of topics you think will make a great teleconference. What areas do you or your staff need to learn more about? Any speaker recommendations?
Send suggestions to Jenn Beedle
Directions and/or Maps to Teleconference Sites
Please note parking information for each site. To avoid a parking ticket, most locations require you park in visitor space and may require you obtain a visitor permit. Confirm available locations on registration form.
Location: Ann Belk Hall, Classroom 023 (note: Old Belk Library on campus map)
Parking Information: http://maps.appstate.edu/print_mapbw.pdf
Location: Robinson Hall, Room 129
Parking information: http://www.unca.edu/campusmap/ (note: Building 17 on campus map)
Location: IMS Video Conference Room, 3431 Arendell Street, Morehead City, NC 28557
Location: Friday Building, Room 153 (note: Building 35 on campus map) Suggest to enter Friday building from back entrance, and teleconference room will be located on the first hallway on the right.
Parking Information: http://facilities.uncc.edu/design-services/campus-maps/campus-maps--park in Visitor Deck on East Deck 1 to avoid parking ticket. Fee for parking is $1.00 / half hour ($10 max).
Location: Brody Medical Sciences Building – Rooms 2E-92
Parking Information: http://www.ecu.edu/parking/ (use drop down menu to view map)--The only identified Visitors Parking on the Health Sciences Campus is in front of Building 109 on the campus Map. This building houses the ECU Alumni Development offices and is located across Moye Boulevard, directly in front of the Brody Medical Sciences Building. Also, there is metered parking is available in the patient parking lot, in front of the Leo Jenkins Cancer Center and the Brody Medical Sciences Building. The campus map does not show any visitors parking in any other parking lots near the Brody building.
Parking Regulations: According to the ECU campus parking regulations, all visitors must purchase a parking pass. See the website above for all parking regulations.
Classroom: Enter Brody Medical Center through the main entrance and take the elevator on the left to the second floor. Turn right as you leave the elevator, and then turn right at the next hall. Network room 2E92 will be on the left and room 2E65 will be on the right.
Location: 3400 N. Wesleyan Blvd.., Rocky Mount, NC 27804
Parking Information: http://www.gatewaytechnologycenter.org/directions.htm
Location: Business Administration Building, Interactive Video Facility, Room 127
Parking Information: Campus Map--Stop at the Traffic Office in the Business Services Building (#35 on map) to obtain a visitor’s permit.
Location: Communications Building, (Studios 114, 115) 646 James B. Hunt Dr..
Parking Information: Campus Map: Building 17--All visitors must display a temporary pass from Student Development Office or Campus Safety Office ( Lois K. Murphy Center, 630 Henderson St. / Building #6 on campus map)
Location: 202 Poe Hall
Parking Information: Campus Map -- Visitors should access campus at the Main Campus Visitor Information Booth on Stinson Drive (off Pullen Rd.). Arrive early to obtain permit and park. Poe Hall is located next to the visitor parking entrance and lot.
More on Visitor Parking - http://www2.acs.ncsu.edu/trans/visitors/index.html
Location: New off campus location near RTP. Mount Olive College at Research Triangle Park
Central Park West, 5001 S. Miami Blvd, Durham, NC 27703
Parking Information: Campus Information and Parking Info From I-40, the entrance to Central Park West is on the left. Use the second entrance. The Mount Olive campus will be directly to the right.
Location: Randall Building, Room 2005
Parking Information: http://www.uncw.edu/parking/visitors.htm, Driving Directions & Campus Map: http://www.uncw.edu/ba/campus_map.htm
Winston-Salem State University
Location: Anderson Center, Room G-22 (Ground Floor)
Parking Information: Please park in Lot Y in front of the main entrance to the Anderson Center. WSSU will issue parking ticket if you park in front of the side door (right wing of building) or near the tennis courts. Directions & Campus Map: http://www.wssu.edu/campus-map/WSSUMap2010Fall-1.pdf
Link to written directions: WSSU Directions and Parking Info .