What is PGA Golf Management?
Turning your passion for golf into a life-long career takes more than a great swing. Our PGA Golf Management program prepares students to take on the business side of the golf industry, including marketing, budgeting, merchandising, instruction, golf cart fleet management and tournament operations. Students also develop valuable skills around the social impacts of the sport to help them deliver excellent customer service in the areas of teaching, customer relations and technology. Students must have a handicap of 12 or below to be admitted to the program.
We are the only PGA Golf Management program where students receive a Bachelor of Science degree in Sport Management, one of NC State’s top 10 majors.
Not only do our students graduate with a college degree, but they also receive PGA membership upon job placement after graduation. Our small classes work specifically with the PGA Work Experience Kit and offer in-class testing and preparation for the PGA tests. Weekly player development sessions are available for students preparing for the PGA Playing Ability Test (PAT).
The state-of-the-art clubhouse at the Lonnie Poole Golf Course located on-campus includes classrooms and working laboratories for our students, including a golf club repair room, swing analysis equipment and golf simulators. Our golf course is one of only two university Audubon-certified golf courses, highlighting NC State’s commitment to sustainability and environmental education. In addition to the Lonnie Poole Golf Course, students can access up to 15 other golf courses in the local area. They play in weekly nine-hole tournaments and up to three major events per semester to improve their skills.
Students complete 16 months of required internships at golf facilities around the country and world, such as the Shinnecock Hills Golf Club in New York, Pebble Beach Resorts in California, Cape Kidnappers Resort in New Zealand, NBC’s Golf Channel and Stitch Golf. We also encourage our students to join student organizations like the Professional Golf Management Ambassadors, Women in PGA Golf Management and the PGM Student Club to develop leadership skills and participate in professional development opportunities like seminars and networking events. Through innovative service-learning partnerships with Inspiration Golf, First Tee of the Triangle and SwingPals, Inc., PGA Golf Management students practice their teaching skills on a weekly basis with at-risk and middle school youth and students with limited abilities.
PGA Golf Management Curriculum
- Semester by Semester Plan
- Popular minors include Business Administration and Coaching Education.
We are fully-accredited by the PGA of America.
We are the only PGA of America accredited program available at a public university in North Carolina and one of only 18 colleges and universities in the U.S.
Why are PGA Golf Management graduates important?
Request more info
Learn more about the College of Natural Resources
Contact us for additional information about this or any of our other majors.
Golf is a lifetime sport enjoyed by 25 million Americans, who play 455 million rounds annually at the nation’s 15,350 facilities, making the skills of our alumni highly desirable and employable.
Golf has a long history of giving back and provides an annual charitable impact of about $4 billion per year through 143,000 events with 12 million participants. That means, our alumni in the industry help raise more money for charity than the MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL combined.
By supporting player development, exercise and outdoor activity, our alumni help improve the overall health and well-being of players, while advancing a business that enhances local economies and communities.
Hands-On Experiences in PGA Golf Management
Josh Birdies His Way to Champion
Josh avoids the scoreboard as he uses his prior experience on the Hollywood Golf Club course to win the 102nd Met Open Championship.
Caitlyn Makes an Early Career Start With New Job Role
Caitlyn prepares for her career as a junior golf instructor by working part-time at the Lonnie Pool Club House and Golf Course on Centennial Campus.
What can you do with a PGA Golf Management degree?
Thinking about applying?
Review our Admissions Requirements
The U.S. golf industry is growing. Annually, it generates around 70 billion dollars and employs nearly 2 million people. This means our PGA Golf Management students graduate with options. Since they learn all aspects of the industry, it’s up to them to decide where they want to go and what they want to do.
Sample PGA Golf Management Careers
- PGA Director of Golf – Manage and develop all aspects of the golf business and oversee golf operations, including the golf shop, golf course maintenance, food and beverage, outside golf services, golf-specific sales and marketing and the facility’s administration. Recent employers include Valhalla Golf Club, TPC Dorado Beach Resort, Pinehurst Resort and Lonnie Poole Golf Course.
- Tournament Director – Oversee general operations of a tournament, including coordinating staff and volunteers, logistics, communications, scheduling, promotions and participant recognition. Recent employers include TPC Sawgrass.
- Teaching and Club Fitting Professional – Provide lessons and club fitting experiences to develop a student’s playing ability in all aspects of the golf game. Recent employers include GolfTEC, 1757 Club and Tour Edge.
- Sales/Merchandising Representative – Promote products for a variety of clients, from a merchandising or technology company to green-grass golf facilities. Recent employers include Peter Millar, Trackman Golf and Cleveland Golf.
- Marketing Representative – Develop and promote the services of a golf facility or company, including customer service and strategic planning. Recent employers include Golf Channel and GolfNOW.