University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon. Ph.D. 1992
- Major: Leisure Studies and Services
- Minor: Adult Education
Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina. M.A. 1983
- Major: Physical Education/Recreation Management
- Minor: Post Secondary Education
West Chester University, West Chester, Pennsylvania. B.S. 1975
- Major: Health and Physical Education
- Minor: Education, K-12
Current Research Interests
Human Dimensions of Outdoor Recreation
Other Relevant Work Experience
2012: Associate Editor, Accidents in North American Mountaineering. A publication of the American Alpine Club.
2008 – 2010: Editor, Journal of Outdoor Recreation, Education and Leadership (JOREL) Duties: Responsible for coordinating all aspects of preparing issues of the JOREL for publication each year. This includes soliciting and reviewing manuscripts, working with reviewers and guest editors (as needed), working with and assisting authors in revisions, preparing manuscripts for online publication, copy editing, and coordinating with a copy editor as needed.
2006 – Present: Director, National Association of State Park Directors – State Park Leadership School. Duties: develop curriculum, provide oversite to BOD, manage distance education and on-site programs.
January 2000 to Present: American Alpine Club, Golden, Colorado. Member, Safety Advisory Council.
July 1999 to Present: North Carolina Outward Bound, Asheville, North Carolina. Member, Board of Directors, Chair, Safety Committee
“Successful Risk Management Committees”. 19th Wilderness Risk Management Conference. Portland, OR, October 24-27, 2012.
“What can be done to tear down silos, reduce conflicts and increase collaboration among federal land management agencies and the climbing community?” National Climbing Management Summit, Red Rocks Canyon National Conservation Area, Las Vegas, NV. October 22-24, 2010.
“Accidents in Outdoor Pursuits – Their Causes and Cures”. 17th Wilderness Risk Management Conference, Williamson, J., & Attarian, A. Colorado Springs, CO, October 14-17, 2010.
“Lightning Safety Procedures for Outdoor Adventure Programs”. Southeast Association for Experiential Education Conference, Montreat, NC. April 9-11, 2010.
“The Social Nature of Built Adventure Recreation Environments”. James, W. R., Bocarro, J. & Attarian, A. Coalition for Education in the Outdoors Biennial Conference, Bradford Woods, IN. January 15-17, 2010.
“Accidents in Outdoor Pursuits – Their Causes and Cures”. 16th Wilderness Risk Management Conference, Williamson, J., Attarian, A. & Capps, K. Durham, NC, October 14-17, 2009.
“A Review of Lightning Safety Procedures for Outdoor Adventure Programs” (poster presentation). 16th Wilderness Risk Management Conference, Durham, NC, October 14-17, 2009.
“Building Capacity for Managing Protected Areas: Experiences from U. S. State Parks”. Leung, YF. & Attarian, A. August 2009, Taipai, Taiwan.
“Lightning: Physics, Myths, Injuries, and Avoidance”. The 22nd Annual AORE Conference. San Diego, October 30-November 1, 2008.
“Distance Education and Active Learning-One Approach to Prepare Future State Park Managers”. The Biennial Conference on University Education in Natural Resources. March 13-15, 2008, Corvallis, OR.
“The Status of Outdoor Leadership Programs in US Colleges and Universities” (poster presentation). Coalition for Education in the Outdoors Ninth Biennial Research Symposium. January 11-13, 2008, Bradford Woods, Martinsville, IN.
Selected Projects/Grants Funding
2009: “Linking Low-Impact Expedition Guide Behavior and Beliefs: Applying the Theory of Planned Behavior in the Garhwal Himalaya.” North Carolina State University FRPD Individual Program Grant. (Funded $3,800.00).
2008: “LUNA” – Leave-No-Trace trainer course on environmental stewardship in urban parks and natural areas. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region IV
Environmental Education Grants. ($18,000.00, Not Funded)
2013-2014 – Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award, North Carolina State University, College of Natural Resources.
2012-2013 – Nominated for Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award, North Carolina State University, College of Natural Resources.
2009–10 – Nominated for Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award, North Carolina State University, College of Natural Resources.
2006 – Nominated for Reynold E. Carlson Distinguished Lecturer Award (Indiana University, Department of Recreation & Park Administration).
2005-06 – Nominated for Alumni Distinguished Undergraduate Professor Award, North Carolina State University, College of Natural Resources.
2004 – Member of the North Carolina State University Academy of Outstanding Teachers.
2004 – Outstanding Teacher Award for 2003-2004. North Carolina State University, College of Natural Resources.
- Waterfall mortality and morbidity in North Carolina, 2001-2013 (2015)
- Injuries in commercial whitewater rafting on the New and Gauley rivers of west virginia (2013)
- Cross-cultural efficacy of American low-impact programs: A comparison between Garhwal guide beliefs on environmental behavior and American outdoor travel norms (2013)
- Risk management in outdoor and adventure programs: scenarios of accidents, incidents, and misadventures (2012)
- Understanding environmentally significant behavior among whitewater rafting and trekking guides in the Garhwal Himalaya, India (2012)
- A review of lightning safety education for outdoor adventure programs (2010)
- Trip response modeling of rock climbers' reactions to proposed regulations (2004)
- Swatting little bugs: What agencies can do to decrease depreciative visitor behavior (2003)
- Frontcountry visitor information/education programs: Are there lessons for wilderness? (2003)
- The effects of outdoor experiential training on perceptions of college stress (2002)