Skip to main content
Wood Products Extension
- Educational Events and Workshops including Hardwood Lumber Grading Workshop, Dry Kiln Operator’s Short Course, Dehumidification Drying of Lumber Short Course, and more.
Paper Science Outreach to K-12
- Schedule a class visit from faculty members to learn more about paper making and recycling. Presentations are geared toward upper-level high school or introductory college science classes and cover the science and environmental issues of using natural materials like wood to build products for society. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for availability.
- K-12 Lab Activities and Learning Materials are available as online course and lab manuals. These presentations provide instructions for using common household materials in conveniently quick and fun educational experiments, such as designing a container to protect an egg, how to recycle paper, converting grass into paper, measuring the strength of paper and more.
Forestry and Environmental Resources
- The Forestry and Environmental Outreach Program (FEOP) provides courses, workshops, conferences, seminars and forums for the general public, professionals, landowners and land managers to discuss practical solutions and ideas about natural resource management.
Continuing Education Training Programs
- ProNR programs include all accredited professional continuing education training events for working professionals in forestry, soils, landscape architecture, wildlife biology, water quality, forest hydrology, aboriculture and forest ecosystems fields.
- The Southeastern Prescribed Fire Online Training Course prepares participants to conduct a prescribed forest burn. This general knowledge course is the first step for state certification courses.
Youth Educational Outreach
- From the Wildlife Habitat Education program to Forestry Contests to Forestry and Wildlife presentations to Wildlife Projects, the 4-H Forestry and Wildlife program helps students in the 4-H program learn more about sustainability and environmental resources around them.
- The Project Learning Tree (PLT) program for educators and pre-K to grade 12 students sets the standard for environmental education excellence. PLT helps students learn how to think, not what to think, about the environment and connects kids to nature.
- The Forest to Classroom (F2C) program connects classroom educators with forest resources in North Carolina. From Sharing What Works to Collaborative Problem Solving, this program gives teachers tools for success.
Forestry Extension Educational Materials and Helpful Reading
Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management
Continuing Education and Training
- PRTM sponsors the largest recreation technical assistance and professional service continuing education programs in the U.S., with more than 10,000 people certified in the past 40 years through the national training programs at Oglebay Park in Wheeling, West Virginia. Courses and training include State Park Leadership, Park and Recreation Maintenance Management, Revenue Development and Management, NRPA Director’s and Supervisor’s Management schools.
- The Recreation Resources Service Continuing Education Programs includes video conferences, webinars, Certified Playground Inspector Course, Park Ranger Institute, Aquatics Workshop, NC Parks and Recreation Directors Conference, Women’s Leadership Conference and educational events.