By Jennifer Piercy
1994 NC State Paper Science Alumnus
Current Executive Director of Pulp and Paper Foundation

It is with heavy hearts that we remember our friend, Ben Chilton, who passed away on October 21, 2013.

Friend.  Confidant.  Mentor.  Dedicated.  Devoted.  Loving.

Ben Chilton, 2003These are nouns that most of us who knew Ben can attach to his memory.  Ben, in his capacity as director of the Pulp and Paper and Forestry Foundations, was one of the first people I met at NC State.  He was a dedicated and successful recruiter, achieved new heights for our program and endowments and impacted countless numbers of students along the way.

When Ben retired, he knew well enough to keep me connected to the foundation and program.  If it were not for that, I can honestly say that I would not be back at NC State, in this fabulous job!  Even after 23 years, Ben remembered meeting my parents for the first time.  I am forever grateful for his influence in my life.

Ben’s effect on our program was remarkable.  During his tenure at NC State, the Forestry Foundation realized a 3133% change in income and a 460% growth in the number of endowments.  Likewise, the Pulp and Paper Foundation saw a 993% increase in income and a 379% increase in the number of endowments.

These numbers are surely impressive; however, Ben’s impact in our lives and his dedication to the people he came in contact with will forever be remembered.  He is truly the embodiment of the 6 nouns mentioned above.

Here at NC State, within our college and program, we will miss him greatly!  He was our friend, our mentor and our cheerleader.

The family has requested that donations be made in Ben’s memory to the Ben and Peggy Chilton Enhancement fund in the College of Natural Resources at NC State.  We are thankful to the many of you that have already donated and to those of you who will do so.

We invite you to enjoy these pictures that our faculty put together in Ben’s memory. ben chilton