By Guest Bloggers Nupur Khadilkar and Madeleine Foster

WYMLA VisitOn Thursday, October 24, a women’s event was held for eighth grade women from the Wake Young Women’s Leadership Academy to experience what Paper Science is like. Thank You to Dr. Grays, Jennifer Piercy and Madeleine Foster for organizing this event as well as Dr. Pawlak and many PSE women, including Kim Philips, Kristen Young, Azlyn Arnett, Michelle Blood, Lauren Moody and Kendre Kessler,  who volunteered their time to help out.

This was our first Community Service event through the PSE Women’s group. There were two hands on activities, a tour of the College of Natural Resources,  lunch with WISE (Women in Science and Engineering) mentors, a tour of the WISE dorm and a Q&A session. All girls also received a T-Shirt and swag bag. We received an incredible amount of positive feedback from the girls who participated in the event.

PSE Women Lab
“This was the best field trip ever!”

“I really enjoyed the hands-on labs”

“I liked seeing the dorms, I can’t wait to go to college.”

On planning and hosting this event, Sophomore Madeline Foster had this to say:

“I organized this event as my WISE Sophomore Experience Project. Our day with these amazing girls was a total success! With the help of all the volunteers, we showed them the World of Paper Science and Engineering, as well as other STEM related fields. All the girls could talk about was how much fun they had making hand sheets and seeing a REAL college dorm room! I even had one girl tell me she wants to be a Paper Engineer! How awesome is that?!

The day could not have gone any better. We accomplished our goal of showing these young ladies PSE & STEM fields and they had tons of fun. Now these girls can’t wait to go to college and major in a STEM field. I am very thankful to have this as my WISE Sophomore Project and a special thanks to everyone who helped make the day happen!”

We look forward to continuing our relationship with STEM programs in the area as well as holding more service events in the future.  Click here for a full photo gallery.

WYWLA Group