Most Congenial Senior

Bobby (2nd from right) pictured here with his mom, siblings and grandfather

Every year, the senior class votes for one student that they believe to be amiable, personable, hospitable, and an all-around good person.  This year at the senior banquet, Bobby Oglesby received this award.  After he received the award, Bobby stood in front of family and friends saying “I am truly honored and humbled to receive this award from my peers.  I have enjoyed working with all of my classmates throughout my time in the program and I am glad that they have enjoyed my company as much as I have enjoyed theirs.”

Bobby is the recipient of many pulp and paper scholarships including a super scholar Pulp & Paper Foundation scholarship, Phillips Family scholarship which allows him to receive a minor in business administration along with his double major, and the Cullison scholarship from TAPPI. He has also gotten many other technical scholarships from TAPPI for his academic merit and personality.

Work Experience

Bobby has an incredible amount of work experience in the chemical and paper industries.  After his freshman year he worked for RockTenn in Hopewell, VA for a summer internship in the technical department.  The next year, he did a co-op for MeadWestvaco for six months in Covington, VA focusing his work on the fiberline & recovery areas. After his junior year, he worked for Solenis, a paper industry chemical supplier, in West Point, VA doing work for WestRock in their industrial water division. He then continued for another summer internship for WestRock in West Point, VA after his senior year.  Bobby will graduate in December of 2016 with a double major in Paper Science & Engineering and Chemical Engineering with a minor in business administration.

Bobby participates in many activities throughout the TAPPI student chapter in the department and likes to go to the gym in his free time with Dr. Jameel, who teaches two classes in the PSE department. He has served as the secretary and vice president on the TAPPI student chapter and is always willing to lend a helping hand when needed.

Congratulations Bobby! The senior class loved your company and will truly cherish the rest of our time together!

By Guest Blogger Jayme Currie