Check out other Alumni Spotlights and submit yours today!

Marianne Clark Rhodes Hight (Clark) graduated from NC State in 1986 with a degree in Chemical Engineering and Pulp and Paper Technology.  Clark currently works for International Paper . We reached out to her to find about her current career, and advice for current students.  Thanks for sharing Clark!

Experiences at NC State

• Internship/co-op experience: Lynchburg, VA, 2- summers at Mead Cylinder (later Rock-Tenn), 1-summer at Lenzing, AG in Volklabrok, Austriaclark-hight-3
  • Favorite Class: 413 with Dr Olf and matching colors,  and 471 with Hitchings.
  • Best memory at State: The 1983 Basketball National Championship and a constant stream of classmates through our apartment.
  • Worst memory at State: 205 homework!
  • Clubs/Hobbies: Ski Team
  • Favorite part of PSE Program: THE PEOPLE!  We had a great class and we did a lot of things together outside of class
  • Most important thing PSE taught me: To work hard and ask WHY and never be satisfied with the status quo. There is always room to be better!

Current Career Information

• Company/job position: Process Control Engineer with International Paper
  • Years at current job: 17!   I started in 1989.  When I started in controls we had one mainframe that took up most of a room.  I remember when we got the first PC and wondered what we were going to do with it. Now I work on DCS configuration as well as data analysis and trouble shooting in the pulp and power processes.
  • Favorite part of job: Doing something different every day. I never know what I am going to find when I get to work each day. The people I work with from operators to reachers and even sometimes managers. I love learning and sharing what I have learned. I love making the process better and trying to make the operators job easier.
  • Biggest accomplishment in career:  Each March for the last 10 years my team has completed a complete DCS change out from an old proprietary DCS to a new and modern one.  Each one required a solid year of prep.  it doesn’t sound like much but it has allowed me to practically redesign the entire mill.  Front line leader in the Pulp Mill for 2 years.clark-alex-hight-2

Advise for Current Students

• Enjoy it while you can.  Travel and try new things

Personal Information

• Hometown: Lynchburg, VA
  • Family:  I have 2 kids- Tucker is studying Civil Engineering and hoping to go into the Army and Alex is a Junior in PSE at NC State.   I lost my husband Troy after nearly 25 years of marriage.
  • Hobbies/interests:  I love the water, sailing or kayaking or even boating and if not in a boat then at the beach. In the winter I try to get in at least one ski trip. I have taken on my second exchange student! So that keeps me busy.

guest blogger: Julia Woods