Meet Michele Serrano

Michele Serrano is the new Forest Biomaterials Program Coordinator, which means she spends her time increasing the visibility of our programs, while supporting extension services and strengthening the Forest Biomaterials brand to attract prospective students. Michele is a Raleigh native and a first generation college graduate. She is an alumna of our Wood Products program. Before returning to NC State as a recruiter and program coordinator, Michele directed one of the largest fine violin shops on the East Coast.

What do you enjoy most about the College of Natural Resources?

As a student, I enjoyed getting to know faculty and staff and the opportunities I was given to be involved with hands-on activities – researching acetylated wood, assistant teaching for wood anatomy, serving with the University Sustainability office, and attending a Forest Products Society conference in DC — to name a few. Now, back as a staff member, it is still the people here that I enjoy the most. Staff and faculty work as a team and are absolutely dedicated to the success of our students! It is an honor to work alongside intelligent, driven, and passionate individuals who share a common purpose — to provide an effective and meaningful education.

What do you do for fun?

For R&R, I go outside. I aspire to have a working flower farm in the near future and have enjoyed growing plants and vegetables since I was a child. As a family, we enjoy spending time with our girls in the mountains –snowboarding, climbing, camping, hiking, and kayaking. We also like to explore new, local businesses around Raleigh and Durham, visiting First Friday markets and other community events .

What is your favorite TV show, movie, and/or music artist?

When I watch TV it’s nice to decompress with a comedy or live vicariously through a show like Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations. My music tastes are all over the place – Otis Redding, Rodrigo y Gabriela, J. Cole, Louis Armstrong, Langhorn Slim, Celia Cruz, Joseph Haydn, Erykah Badu, Bruce Springsteen, The Avett Brothers, and so many more.

What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

Mint chocolate chip is my long standing favorite. When it comes to dessert I enjoy anything bitter like dark chocolate or a tart blackberry pie with a cup of black decaf coffee.

What is something people may not know about you?

Growing up, I lived in a multi-generational home. My Grandmother and I were very close and I spent every afternoon with her doing homework, watching her favorite talk shows, and preparing that nights family dinner. In 2013 she was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma and I decided to join the Leukemia and Lymphona Society to raise over $3k and run a marathon in her honor. Since then, running has become a vital part of my well-being.