Marianne Clark Rhodes Hight (Clark) graduated from NC State in 1986 with degrees in Chemical Engineering and Pulp and Paper Technology. Clark currently works for International Paper. Her daughter, Alex Hight is a current students and our TAPPI Chapter President. This amazing mother daughter team have recently committed to endow a student support award for our program.
Clark is the PPT Class of 1986 Class ambassador and an impactful member of our individual giving and alumni relations foundation committee. She is also involved with IP’s campus recruiting team, saying “I believe that NC State’s PSE program produces some of the best engineers we find anywhere.”
Check out Clark’s Alumni Spotlight information below.
Experiences at NC State
- Internship/co-op experience: Lynchburg, VA, 2- summers at Mead Cylinder (later Rock-Tenn), 1-summer at Lenzing, AG in Volklabrok, Austria
- Favorite Class: 413 with Dr Olf and matching colors, and 471 with Hitchings.
- Best memory at State: The 1983 Basketball National Championship and a constant stream of classmates through our apartment.
- Worst memory at State: 205 homework!
- Clubs/Hobbies: Ski Team
- Favorite part of PSE Program: THE PEOPLE! We had a great class and we did a lot of things together outside of class
- Most important thing PSE taught me: To work hard and ask WHY and never be satisfied with the status quo. There is always room to be better!
Current Career Information
- Company/job position: Process Control Engineer with International Paper
- Years at current job: 29! I started in 1989. When I started in controls we had one mainframe that took up most of a room. I remember when we got the first PC and wondered what we were going to do with it. Now I work on DCS configuration as well as data analysis and trouble shooting in the pulp and power processes.
- Favorite part of job: Doing something different every day. I never know what I am going to find when I get to work each day. The people I work with from operators to “Reachers” and even sometimes managers. I love learning and sharing what I have learned. I love making the process better and trying to make the operators job easier.
- Biggest accomplishment in career: Each March for the last 12 years my team has completed a complete DCS change out from an old proprietary DCS to a new and modern one. Each one required a solid year of prep. It doesn’t sound like much but it has allowed me to practically redesign the entire mill.
Advise for Current Students
- Enjoy it while you can. Travel and try new things
- Hometown: Lynchburg, VA
- Family: I have 2 kids- Tucker is working as a Civil Engineering in Myrtle Beach and Alex is a current PSE student, graduating in 2018.
- Hobbies/interests: I love the water, sailing or kayaking or boating and if not in a boat then at the beach. In the winter I try to get in at least one ski trip. I am currently hosting my THIRD foreign exchange student! So that keeps me busy.
guest blogger: Julia Woods