By Taylor Krakuszeski
David Ashcraft graduated from NC State in 1968 with a degree in Chemical Engineer. He retired from NC State on April 30, 2016 after working for the University for 15 years. We recently reached out to David to find out about his experiences here at NC State, his career, and advise for current students.
Experiences at NC State:
- Internship/co-op experiences: Tennessee River (Now PCA), Counce TN. Summer 1966, Union Camp (Now IP), Franklin VA. Summer 1967 Eastex (Now WestRock), Evadale TX. Summer 1966
- Favorite Class: Che 205 & Calculus
- Best memory at State: Meeting my wife in November 1967. Thompson Theater. Ashcraft was the accompanist for the choir and his wife, Mary sang alto. Their 1st date was a bagpipe concert in Reynolds on November 16, 1967.
- Worst memory at State: Tour of paper mills during spring break in 1968 during a great turmoil in our country.
- Clubs/hobbies: Student Senator, music and writing
- Favorite part of PSE program: Professors and students
- Most important thing PSE taught me: Patience, importance of being prepared and importance of friends.
Current Career Information:
- Company/job position: Retired from NC State, April 30, 2016. Ashcraft enjoys traveling with his wife Mary, class of 1971. They have three married children and nine grandchildren.
- Current hobbies/interests: Volunteer missionary, NC Baptist on Mission. He enjoys meeting people and sharing good news.
- What advice would you give to current students: Be true to God, true to yourself and practice servant leadership.