Richard Betts graduated from NC State in 1973 with a BS degree in Pulp and Paper Technology & Chemical Engineering. We recently reached out to Richard to find out about his experiences here at NC State, his career and advice for current students. Thanks for your time and your willingness to share Richard.
Internship & Co-Op Experiences While at NC State:
- Weyerhaeuser Company – Plymouth, NC Summers 1971 1972 1973
Best Memory at State:
- Basketball games at Reynolds Coliseum 1972-73 Team was 27-0, 1973-74 Team was 30-1 and won NCAA National Championship; Intermural Sports – basketball, softball, golf; and “pick-up games” at Carmichael Gym.
- Weirdest memory – getting stuck in the elevator at D.H. Hill Library as the library was closing, so pretty soon there was nobody around to hear me yelling.
Worst Memory at State:
- I missed The Temptations in Concert at Reynolds Coliseum….Actually, we’ll blame it on my girlfriend: my girlfriend invited me to the Temptations Concert in Chapel Hill (she went to UNC-CH), which happened to be scheduled for the night following the Temptations Concert in Raleigh. Unfortunately, we had a “fight” just before the concert and she sold the tickets for the Chapel Hill Concert, so I missed seeing them at either location. The good news is: we’ve been happily married for 45 years.
- Basketball at Carmichael Gym was always fun.
Favorite part of PSE Program:
- The hands-on application for the course of study.
Most important thing PSE taught me:
- That I CAN figure “stuff” out; if someone else has done it before, I can do it too.
Current career information:
- Industrial Turnaround Corporation (ITAC) – Senior Process Consultant, currently on cotract to WestRock – Hopewell, VA.
Years at current job:
- November 2016.
What is your favorite part of your current job:
- New challenges every day.
What are your current hobbies and interests:
- Golf, yard work, nurturing grandchildren.
Biggest accomplishment in your career:
- The development of confidence in myself.
Advise for Current Students:
- Realize that the curriculum is hard, but it’s hard for everyone else. Those that persist survive.
What other positions have you held:
- 2015 – Present: ITAC
- 2012 – 2015: Resco, Inc, American Tank Cleaning, Inc. – Palatka, FL / West Point, VA
- 1974 – 2011: Chesapeake Corp., St. Laurent, Smurfit-Stone, RockTenn, WestRock – West Point, VA
Any other comments or thouhts that you want to share:
- N.C. State was a wonderful experience and the education / training I still believe is second to none and a degree in PSE or ChE can open many doors in a wide range of areas.
- Hometown: Fuquay-Varina, NC
- Married to Debbie Dickens (High School Sweetheart) for 45 years
Two adult children: Heather Betts Felty (43), married (Danny) with 2 boys Sam (15), Eli (11); Brandon Betts (40), married (Missy) with a son Trevor (6)
By guest blogger Tommy Keeshan