By Sarah Pumphrey
Students Connecting with Alumni
I had the opportunity to co-op with many PSE alumni this fall at the Weyerhaeuser New Bern cellulose fiber mill. It was a great co-op experience, and working with so many alumni made it even more fun (especially during football season)! It is always interesting to see where PSE graduates end up and what they took from the program. So much so that we are going to start finding one alumnus per week and see where the PSE program took him/her! To start off here is Stacie McKenzie Arnold (Class of ’94), who I had the pleasure of getting to know through my co-op experience this fall. Keep an eye out for more “Alumni Spotlight” posts to find what other PSE alumni have been up to since graduation! Don’t be surprise if YOU find an email in your inbox from a current student OR send us an email to let us know what YOU are doing.
Stacie Arnold graduated from NC State in 1994 with a degree in Chemical Engineering, Pulp and Paper Science Technology. She currently works as a Process Control Engineer in New Bern, NC. We recently reached out to her to find out about her experience here at NC State, about her current career, and for advice for current students.
Experience at NC State
- Internship/co-op experience: Beloit, Dalton, MA and Nippon Paper Industries, Tokyo, Japan
- Favorite class: Calculus
- Best memory at State: Making it to graduation, and the friends I made along the way.
- Worst memory at State: Taking final exams every semester.
- Clubs/hobbies: Alpha Phi Omega service Fraternity, Upper-class advisor for incoming freshmen
- Favorite part of PSE program: The smaller classes and awesome professors. It felt like family.
- Most important thing PSE taught me: Generous people supported my education through endowed scholarships. It’s important to give back to others when you are able.
Current Career Information
- Company/job position: Process Control Engineer, Weyerhaeuser Company, New Bern, NC
- Years at current job: 20
- Favorite part of job: Working with a great team to problem-solve and improve processes
- Biggest accomplishment in career: Conversion of mill DCS system from Rosemount System 3 to Delta
Advice for current students
- Work hard, but have fun along the way. These are some of the best days of your life!
- Hometown: Henderson, NC
- Family: Husband Nick
- Hobbies/interests: Boating, fishing, going to NC State Football games