- Charlotte, NC
High School Graduation Year:
- BS, Paper Science and Engineering, 2023
- BS, Chemical Engineering, 2023
- International Paper, Georgetown, SC summer 2020 in spite of COVID-19!
Why did you choose Paper Science and Engineering (PSE)?
- I initially applied to Chemical Engineering, and received letters and emails from the PSE Program that encouraged me to take the intro class with many scholarship opportunities. Additionally, I knew from the moment I applied to NC State that I wanted to study something that was sustainable and helped the environment. The pulp and paper industry does just that.
What is your favorite thing about Paper Science and Engineering?
- PSE and the College of Natural Resources in general does a great job of making a large campus feel small and comfortable. They have tutoring, easily accessible professors, and so many career opportunities. PSE actually hosts its own interviews for students with tons of different companies..
What is your favorite thing about NC State?
- The people. The staff, the students, the locals. Everyone in the area supports you and encourages you to live your dream. College is a time for exploration, and NC State does its best to give students all the tools they need to succeed. It is a welcoming place that promotes kindness and compassion among every person on the campus.
What advice would you offer to an incoming freshman?
- Believe in yourself. There is a reason you got that letter of acceptance. You belong here. The beginning of the semester is a whirlwind. Love it and appreciate it. Some of those classes will overwhelm you. Break it down into small steps. You can do it. You will meet so many people that you can feel lost. Give it time, it will work out for you. Believe in the best, welcome the worst and you will learn and grow more than you thought possible.
What would people be surprised to know about you?
- I journal. I can express my thoughts so much better for myself and others through written words. I love to write thank yous and why-you-are-so-awesome cards at random because I can communicate appreciation and admiration clearly with pen & paper.
What has been your greatest challenge?
- Taking care of myself. Last year I often found myself prioritizing school work and social life more than my physical and mental health. I need alone time, and it’s so easy to get ahead of yourself and want to go go go. Sit still and relax. Take time to be by yourself. Read a book or go on a walk. Love your body and be aware of your thoughts.