Here, You Get the Full Package
Innovative technologies and research in biomaterials have lead to expanded consumer products, like nonwovens smart packaging. In fact, the paper, packaging and tissue industries are big business today, especially in North Carolina where 40 percent of the U.S. nonwovens industry is based. North Carolina has the largest concentration of nonwovens companies, users and suppliers in the country. If you are interested in paper, packaging and tissue, this is the place to be.
As interest grows in this field, the future of paper, packaging and tissue are sure to impact nearly every aspect of daily life around the globe. Our faculty continue to push the boundaries in this burgeoning field with projects that cover everything from printed electronics to hygiene products. Some of our research includes new uses for banana stem fibers in absorbent systems, using soy protein to control tacky deposits and repulping wax-containing paper. Our department has also made significant research contributions to the understanding of surface charge phenomena, effects of enzymes, the role of polymeric additives to the process, as well as colloid chemical aspects of the paper manufacturing process.
Paper, Packaging and Tissue Research Features
Assessing Market Power in the U.S. Pulp and Paper Industry
A new study by NC State researchers found that market power in the pulpwood market is strongly driven by industry concentration and local company size, and decreases as the estimated wood procurement radius from a mill increases in size.
Conference Brings Researchers, Business Leaders Together To Discuss Tissue Industry Advances
The conference — sponsored by the NC State College of Natural Resources and the Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry — brings together industry stakeholders so they can share ideas about sustainability and discuss solutions to challenges in current fiber sourcing operations.
Meet our Paper, Packaging and Tissue Faculty
Interested in paper, packaging and tissue research? Contact our faculty to learn more and get involved.
- Dimitris Argyropoulos, Professor
- Med Byrd, Director of Applied Research
- Hou-min Chang, Professor Emeritus
- Ronalds Gonzalez, Assistant Professor
- Marko Hakovirta, Department Head and Professor
- Martin Hubbe, Buckman Distinguished Scientist and Professor
- Hasan Jameel, Jordan Family Distinguished Professor
- Frederik Laleicke, Extension Specialist
- Nathalie Lavoine, Assistant Professor
- Lucian Lucia, Associate Professor
- Lokendra Pal, Associate Professor
- Joel Pawlak, Associate Professor
- Richard Venditti, Elis-Signe Olsson Professor