Tagged with:

In order form left to right: Deanna Metivier, Emilee Briggs, Lauryn Coombs, Mallory Gyovai, and Thomas Harris. The five NC State students that went on the Sweden, Germany, and Poland.

Deanna Metivier is a sophomore majoring in Natural Resources Ecosystem Assessment and Geology, with a minor in Forest Management. This past summer, she traveled through Sweden, Germany, and Poland in a Study Abroad program led by Dr. Blank and Dr. Hess in collaboration with Perdue University and the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU). The group had the opportunity to study a wide variety of topics from forestry to wildlife and urban sustainability.

Deanna, how has this Study Abroad experience affected your career and/or personal life?

I had been out of the country before as I frequently travel to Mexico to visit family, but this study abroad trip affected me differently. It allowed me to work with a diverse group of people looking at topics relevant to all of us-the international sustainable use of natural resources. The thing about international travel is that it can honestly change your life. I returned to the United States as a different person with an entirely new perspective on the world. This trip confirmed my desire to work internationally, see the entire world, all while making a positive impact on the environment.

Personally, I am particularly interested in climate change and conservation. After I earn my bachelor’s degree from NC State, I hope to go on to grad school in Europe, if things go my way. This study abroad international experience inspired me to go outside of my comfort zone, and never stop searching for life’s greatest adventures.