I grew up on a poultry farm in southern Pennsylvania. My interest in forestry stems from my agricultural roots, and love of North American wilderness. I find forestry to be a compelling field of study, as forests represent an invaluable and complex renewable resource. The stewardship of which is our responsibility today, so that generations to come may share the ecological, environmental, and economic benefits forests provide.
I am currently pursuing a Master of Forestry at NC State. My research focuses on estimating the harvest availability of hardwood stands in the Southeastern United States. Large portions of the Southeastern US are covered in hardwood and mixed hardwood stands, owned in large part by private, non-industrial landowners. The tract size, distribution, location, and multifaceted landowner objectives of such hardwood stands makes the estimation of the availability of this resource a complex and fascinating question.
I earned a BA in philosophy from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. I enjoy mountain biking, hiking, and spending time with my family.
Update:  Kevin finished his Master of Forestry in December, 2016.  He is currently a Forestry Analyst at The Conservation Fund in Durham, NC.