Shalizi NasirI come from Afghanistan and completed my bachelors degree in Forestry and Natural Resources from Kabul University, Afghanistan in 2008. I attended Purdue University in 2012 and completed a non-degree program in forest management.

I got involved in forestry activities in 2005 and I chose it as a career because I want to help conserve and expand forests of Afghanistan. I always wanted to attend graduate school in one of the US universities. My dream came true in 2013 and I was able to enroll in graduate school at NCSU in the Master of Science in Forestry. studied alternative growing media substrates and nutrition effect on nursery seedlings. This project is very important for my country. With the results of this project I would be able to solve one of the major problems of forest regeneration in Afghanistan.

Besides study and research, I like to play soccer, play games, go hiking, camping and watch movies.

Update, January 2017.  Nasir received his MS in Forestry in December 2015, returned to be a lecturer at Kabul University in Afghanistan.  He then returned to NC State in the fall of 2016 to start a PhD in Forestry and Environmental Resources.