Each month, the Environmental Sciences Academic Program highlights a current student who represent the diverse and involved student population within the program . This month, December, the spotlight focuses on, Jarami Bond.

Name: Jarami Bond

Focal Area: Sustainable Materials and Technology

Year: Senior

Hometown: Upper Marlboro, MD

What lead you to select Environmental Sciences at NC State?

I spent my first 2 ½ years at NC State bouncing around between majors that were somewhat related to the environment, but not entirely.  I knew that I wanted to impact society for the better by creating innovative solutions to solve present-day environmental problems, but the classes I had to take for those majors didn’t quite lend themselves to that goal.  By the end of my junior year, I had already taken two ES electives that I enjoyed and excelled in.  After learning more about what the program offered, I was instantly hooked.

What is your favorite aspect about the Environmental Science program?

I love the interdisciplinary nature of the ES program!  You can literally combine your passion for environmental consideration with any other interest you have and fuse them into the ideal career!  I feel that the ES program possesses the most flexible degree plan in the entire university.

What has been your favorite course at NC State?

My favorite course at NC State is actually quite surprising.  At one point in my collegiate career, I was required to take CSC116 (Java).  Looking back, it was my favorite course because I had never had to work so hard in my life and put in as many hours studying as I did in that class to succeed.  Java built character and strengthened my work ethic.  After successfully completing the course, I had never felt so accomplished.

How did you select your focal area?

After spending days in with Mr. Wilson’s office analyzing a myriad of career paths, I settled on minoring in Sustainable Materials and Technology (SMT).  Sustainability is such a broad area of study that encompasses people, planet, and profit.  I desire to help companies improve their products, facilities, and processes, making them more environmentally-friendly and efficient.  I knew that the courses within the SMT minor would further equip me with the skills to do so.

What is something you wish someone had told you when you were a freshman?

I wish someone told me to take advantage of my easier courses freshman and sophomore year so that I could enter my upperclassmen years and therefore harder classes with a cushion.  If you can get an A+, don’t settle for an A-.  If you can get a B, don’t settle for a C+.  The college years are a brief 4-year microcosm of the rest of your life.  Enjoy the pleasures of college, but don’t allow them to distract you from the end goal.

What is your favorite thing to do outside of the classroom?

I love spending lazy afternoons and evenings after class and homework is completed playing intramural sports.  From basketball and flag football to tennis and soccer, intramural sports are tremendous stress-relievers that help me escape the stress of deadlines and exams.