Each month, the Environmental Sciences Academic Program highlights a current student who represent the diverse and involved student population within the program . This month, March, the spotlight focuses on, Cameron Luck.

cameron luckName: Cameron Luck

Focal Area: Marine Biology

Year: Senior

Hometown: Raleigh, NC

What lead you to select Environmental Sciences at NC State?

I remember not knowing very much about the major when I selected it. It caught my attention though because I knew I wanted to do something that involved interacting with the natural world. My mind wasn’t made up though and the Environmental Science program gave me the chance to really figure out my passions without getting behind.

What is your favorite aspect about the Environmental Science program?

The concept of choosing your own focal area has got to be the coolest part of this program. I was able to essentially build mine based off interesting, relevant classes that would reinforce my goals. Because Environmental Science is such an all-encompassing program, the options are seemingly endless for students. It all depends on what you decide to make your focal area.

What has been your favorite course at NC State? 

My favorite course while at NC State would have to be AEC 400 taught under Dr. Craig Layman this past fall. It was eye opening for me, mainly for helping to define my specific passions in marine research. The class was much more discussion based, with oral test questions and case study analysis to identify ecological principles. I learned quickly the importance of understanding the ecological and economic significances of an ecosystems function and the art of conveying that significance to non-scientists.

How did you select your focal area?

I knew from volunteering down at NC State’s marine laboratory CMAST (Center of Marine Science and Technology) that I wanted to do research in the field of marine biology. From there, I began building a minor centered around marine ecology, biology, statistics, etc. to make sure my foundation in the discipline would be solid.

What is something you wish someone had told you when you were a freshman?

Take advantage of all that is available to you, be it teachers, clubs, or extracurricular activities. There is so much here readily available for us as students.

What is your favorite thing to do outside of the classroom? 

Stay outside, doing anything that doesn’t require me to come back inside.