Each month, the Environmental Sciences Academic Program highlights a current student who represent the diverse and involved student population within the program . This month, January, the spotlight focuses on, Jeremy Evans.

Name: Jeremy Evans

Focal Area: Soil Science

Year: Senior

Hometown: Hollister, NC

What lead you to select Environmental Sciences at NC State?

I knew that I wanted to do something environmental and natural resources related, and engineering didn’t offer that ability to help. I read about the Environmental Science major and thought it would be a perfect fit for me.

What is your favorite aspect about the Environmental Science program?

My favorite aspect of the major is the freedom that we have to choose our own track and focus within the major. The environment affects everyone and we have to tackle different areas.

What has been your favorite course at NC State?

I believe that my favorite course here at NC State has been Music 200,  Understanding Music: Global Perspectives. It introduced music from all around the world, and I was able to see some similarities between other cultures and my own Native American culture. As well as talk about my own cultures music.

How did you select your focal area?

I wanted something that would allow me to be able to do work outside, as well as help people and the land.

What is something you wish someone had told you when you were a freshman?

I wish someone had told me not to get too stressed with classes and work, because when you get really stressed out, you don’t function as well and your school work can suffer even more.

What is your favorite thing to do outside of the classroom?

One of favorite things outside of the classroom is being involved with AISES (American Indian Science and Engineering Society). I got involved with it my freshman year and took on the role of president my sophomore year, and now a national rep. Being involved has allowed me to travel to Alaska, New Mexico, Florida, and Colorado.