G Wilson copy 1For the second year in a row, Griff Wilson, a senior in the College of Natural Resources, won the qualifier in March and moved on to compete against seven other athletes from around the country at the Collegiate National Championship in June 2015 in New York City. This is the fourth year in a row that NC State’s competitor has won the qualifier.

Griff and his family traveled to New York City for the event in Central Park. In true wolfpack support, several of Griff’s friends and Timbersports Team Members made the trip to cheer him on.

We asked Griff to share a little about his experience:

“I was privileged to be able to attend the Stihl Timbersports Collegiate Nationals in New York City on June 20, 2015. Winning the Southern Collegiate Qualifier; hosted in conjunction with the Southern Foresters Conclave, in Starkville, MS in March of 2015, made me eligible to attend the national competition. It was not only an honor to be able to represent N.C. State Forestry at the national event, but it was also a lot of fun. Dr. Roise from NCSU, several N.C. State Forestry Alumni and some of the current members of the Timbersports Team, along with my family, came to give me their support.
This is my second year representing NC State in the Stihl Collegiate Series and my second opportunity to attend Nationals.  After each event and it’s airing on ESPNU, I have been surprised at the number of people that have seen the Southern Qualifier and the Nationals on television and the attention that it has brought to Timbersports and to the N. C. State Forestry program.  I appreciate the encouragement that the Forestry program at State has given me and the Timbersports team.” Griff Wilson ’16

Another NC State favorite, alumni Logan Scarborough ’10  was competing as a pro. The NC State contingent was cheering hard for Logan to win the Professional National Champion.  The World Championship for 2015 will be held in November in Poland.

Read the article from March 2015.