Each month, the Environmental Sciences Academic Program highlights a current student who represent the diverse and involved student population within the program. This month, September, the spotlight focuses on, Daniel Marulanda.

Daniel MarudaName: Daniel Marulanda

Focal Area: Applied Ecology but I am planning to create on my own focal area.

Year: 2nd year

Hometown: Statesville, NC

1. What lead you to select Environmental Sciences at NC State?

I was originally planning to go into engineering but after meeting the ES staff and taking ES courses I realized that my personality is better suited for science.

1. What is your favorite aspect about the Environmental Science program?

How diverse the program is. Every student I’ve met within the program has been interested in a different aspect of Environmental Science. It’s exciting to see that this major attracts so many inspiring people and helps develop their interests into careers.

1. What has been your favorite course at NC State?

PY211 with Heyward. He’s a funny and goofy professor but he knows his stuff. I appreciate that he helps students understand how to think and approach physics problems without giving students the answer. I admire that style of teaching.

1. How did you select your focal area?

I have an interest in ecology and learning how to apply principles to help the real-world.

1. What is something you wish someone had told you when you were a freshman?

While I agree that it is important to take your education seriously and make the most out of it, I also believe that it is important for students to develop their social skills. Make friends, get involved in clubs, and try new hobbies.

1. What is your favorite thing to do outside of the classroom?

I love working as a mentor for the EcoVillage. I enjoy running and rock climbing. I am a big fan of Dungeons & Dragons as well.