We are excited to announce our 1st place win in the 2015 Shack-a-Thon competition!
Shack-a-Thon is about more than just raising money for Habitat for Humanity. It is about bringing faculty, staff, students, parents, alumni, and businesses together for a common goal! This was the 17th Shack-a-Thon event at NC State. For the first 15 years, the Poole College of Management won. We are so proud to have toppled the reigning champs last year and maintain the lead with the help of the amazing College of Natural Resources family.
This year we built our shack from bamboo that was harvested from our own Hill Forest. Students from throughout the college spent over 130 hours planning, harvesting, and prepping wood before building even began.
See Dillon Dunn, lead builder, talk about the building process.
We raised $14,569 in competitive money. Competitive totals consist of not only how much we raised in hard cash, but also how much “soft” money we raised. “Soft” money is an incentive provided by the Shack-a-Thon team to inspire creativity, commitment, positivity, and teamwork throughout the entire process. You can tell from our statistics below that we not only raised a lot of money, but we embraced the true spirit of the competition by receiving soft money if every possible category.
- $11,640 in actual hard cash raised
- $2,929 in “soft” money raised
- 143 unique donors
- One of only two shacks to receive soft money in every category
- Over 1100 man hours went into fundraising, building and manning the shack
- 145 volunteers assisted throughout the process
- Voted “Best Designed” Shack – $1000 in soft money
- Won the Tug of War Competition – $600 in soft money
- Selected as Most Determined Pan Handlers – $500 in soft money
- Received additional soft money for Most Creative Fundraisers, Shack Spirit, Scavenger Hunt, Build Day, Rock, Paper Scissors Competition, Cornhole, No Plain Walls, and Whack-a-Shack Team Work
We thank our Shack-a-Thon committee to worked tirelessly to make this happen!
- Miranda Day, Head Fundraising Coordinator, Junior in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management
- Sumner Dudick, Fundraising Coordinator, Sophomore in Paper Science and Engineering
- Cody Brooks, Fundraising Coordinator, Senior in Forest Management
- Andrea Sellers, Volunteer Coordinator, Junior in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management
- Dillon Dunn, Build Coordinator, Senior in Forest Management
We could not have done it without the support of our volunteers and your contribution. Thank you so much for your continued support of CNR’s Shack-a-Thon. We sincerely appreciate your involvement and want to emphasize that because of you, we were able to surpass our goals and raise the most amount of money for someone in the best community ever–Raleigh, NC!
CNR Shack-a-Thon 2015 Team.
Article shared by Tiffany McLean and Miranda Day.