About me:
Elmer Mary computer in Panama

Mary Elmers helps a student with his university application while on her Peace Corps assignment, Panama

As an undergraduate at Virginia Tech, I worked with a USAID funded grant where I became interested in agricultural and natural resource development work. In this position, I specifically became interest in monitoring, evaluation, and quantifying the economic impact of development projects. I was a Master’s International student in the Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources where I completed my Master’s degree in conjunction with Peace Corps service. I served as an Agriculture volunteer in an indigenous region in the Comarca Ngäbe-Buglé, Panamá from 2013-2015. As a Peace Corps Volunteer, I promoted integrated pest management techniques, and also worked with high school seniors to navigate the university admissions process.
Area of research:  My research was related to my Peace Corps service in the Comarca Ngäbe-Buglé, Panamá.  I looked at local perceptions of a food security project implemented by FAO of the United Nations and the national agricultural agency of Panama (MIDA).
Career goal:  I hope to work with an Agricultural and Natural Resource development organization in Latin America.  I am currently the passport coordinator in the Office of International Affairs at NC State.
Previous degrees and where earned:
B.S. Applied Economic Management, Virginia Tech
B.S. Agricultural Sciences, Virginia Tech
Other interests/activities:
I enjoy sewing, running, and traveling.