Tagged with:

Each month, the Environmental Sciences Academic Program highlights a current student who represent the diverse and involved student population within the program. This month, October, the spotlight focuses on, Charlotte Mendes.

Charlotte Mendes

Charlotte Mendes

Name: Charlotte Mendes

Focal Area: Environmental Policy and Economics

Year: Senior

Hometown: Princeton Junction, NJ

1. What lead you to select Environmental Sciences at NC State?

When I scheduled a tour of NCSU I was actually planning on becoming a Geology major. However, on the day of the tour, I was introduced to the option of Environmental Science and I fell in love with this program, instead.

2. What is your favorite aspect about the Environmental Science program?

My favorite aspect about the Environmental Science program has most definitely been the people who have run and been involved in the program. I have loved getting to know everyone at a personal level and I think we have the best advisor and coordinator at NCSU. Kudos to Greg and Erin!

3. What has been your favorite course at NC State?

My favorite class has been PS320 US Environmental Policy and Economics with Dr. Graham. Although the class was a lot of work, it was worth it! I enjoyed the focus of the class and he is one of the best professors!

4. How did you select your focal area?

I selected my focal area of Environmental Policy and Economics after I took some policy classes from the Political Science department and decided that is my desired career focus. I realized that I appreciate policy-making and would most definitely like to create some new policies to protect the environment.

5. What is something you wish someone had told you when you were a freshman?

As a freshman, I wish someone had told me to slow down and not try to join tons of organizations, because you end up only having time for a few. So you should focus on what is most important to you.

6. What is your favorite thing to do outside of the classroom?

Outside of the classroom, you will often find me in a yoga class or traveling, as I have a huge passion for both.