Materials for each module will be provided to workshop participants.
Module 1: Before you buy
• What is a UAS? What can a UAS do? Why do I need a drone?
(intro to UAS – types, descriptions, uses; navigating payloads and sensors)
• How do I choose a drone?
(drone buying guide – types, factors, limitations)
• Presentation of the systems
(fixed wing vs. rotary wing)
Module 2: Before you fly
• Can I fly my drone?
• Do I need a certificate? If so, how do I obtain one?
Module 3: Preparing a flight mission
• How do I fly to obtain the data I need?
(photogrammetric process – main concepts)
• How do I plan a flight?
(software options, instructions, practice)
• Where and when can I fly?
(weather and terrain conditions)
• How do I fly safely?
(check lists and best practices)
Module 4: Flight mission
• Site evaluation
• Risk assessment
• UAS pre-flight
• UAS operations
Module 5: UAS data
• I’ve successfully completed a flight – now what?
(intro to UAS data)
• Why do I need to process the pictures?
(basics of spatial data and aerial photogrammetry)
Module 6: Imagery processing
• What are my options for data processing?
(options, environments, constraints)
•Setting the processing workstations and data
(Agisoft PhotoScan installer)
Module 7: Imagery processing – Practice session
• Introduction to Agisoft software
• Processing step-by-step
(Software, workstations and sample data will be provided, but you may also work with your own laptop and data.)
Module 8: Processing outputs
• Reading and analyzing the processing outputs
(GIS and visualization solutions)
Module 9: Resources
• Online resources, tips for solving future UAS issues, Q&A