Please note that ALL DRIVERS of College of Natural Resources (CNR) vehicles must be employees of NC State University. If you are driving a Forestry and Environmental Resources (FER) vehicle you must provide Synda Willis with a photocopy/picture (front and back) of your driver’s license. You can submit these as a JPEG or PDF. All drivers must pass a driver’s license background check before driving an FER vehicle. For faculty, please see Shannon Plummer-White. For undergraduate students, please see Sally Petters. For graduate students, please see Sarah Slover.
Anyone (faculty, staff, grad or undergrad student) who would like to drive one of the FER vehicles, MUST review the online instructional safety courses (listed below) and pass a short quiz for each course. A copy of the certificate for each of the courses must be emailed in advance to Sydna Willis prior to reserving a vehicle. We cannot accept screenshots or emails with scores. We must have a certificate for each course. There will be no exceptions to this rule. We are grateful that the department has provided vehicles for research and field trips to support our work. Please help to maintain this invaluable resource.
These courses are required for anyone that will be driving a vehicle.
1. 15 passenger Van Safety-EHPS-GS100 Learn safe driving considerations along with specific hazards and precautions when driving a large 15 passenger van.
2. Driving Safely – Autos/SUVs/Pickups – EHPS-IRM-01 This course will provide drivers of NC State vehicles awareness of the major activities that lead to accidents. The training is produced by our automobile insurance carrier, Travelers Insurance. Students will review the following topics and be presented with quiz questions to assess understanding:
• Frequent Lane Changes
• Failing to Yield the Right-of-Way
• Inattentive Driving
• Distracted Driving
3. Distracted Driver Safety Training – EHPS-GS101 This training reviews what it means to be a distracted driver and how to share the road safely with distracted drivers.
Reserving and Returning a Vehicle
When reserving a vehicle, please use the Vehicle reservation form and provide the following:
- Name of person using the vehicle
- Purpose – if research or extension, provide an account number; if educational, provide professor and course number
- Phone number
- Professor (PI) you are working under
- Fill out the mileage and fuel form (place a copy of this in blue key bag when complete)
- Top off fuel tank (no exceptions)
- Remove all trash (no exceptions)
- Park behind Weaver Labs
- Return keys/bags to Jordan 3136 or the wall safe outside the office
If this is not completed properly, you will be contacted to return and complete clean up if needed.
NCSU has a new vendor for gas cards, WEX (abbreviation stands for Wright Express) that we will now be using for all of our CNR vehicles. The WEX cards work at essentially any gas station (view card guide and stations list). They can also be used for minor repair costs (if needed) when far from campus. You do not need to save the receipts as we will have an online reconciliation process that will act as the receipt. But, all users will be required to state the purpose of their trip when making a vehicle reservation (Educational, Extension, Research, Other) and provide a project number if for Research, Extension or other purposes. To use the WEX card:
- swipe it like a credit card
- enter the odometer of the vehicle (no tenths of miles)
- enter the PIN code/ Driver ID (will come with each vehicle set of keys)
- fill up!
Equipment Room Information