Water Resources Engineer / Environmental Designer / Geomorphologist
Wildlands Engineering is seeking an individual with a passion for environmental restoration to join our growing company in Asheville, NC or Knoxville, TN. Positions may be filled in one or both offices – please specify preferred location within your cover letter. The advertised position is a full-time, in office position but other arrangements may be considered. Projects may include streams and wetland restoration; watershed and water quality improvements; dam removal and aquatic organism passage; hydrologic and hydraulic modeling; flood resiliency planning and design; and watershed planning and retrofit stormwater best management practices (BMPs). This position may require occasional overnight travel and frequent outdoor field work.
Wildlands Engineering, Inc. was founded in 2007 and focuses on stream and wetland restoration, watershed planning and assessment, and water quality management. With offices in North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Virginia, Wildlands Engineering provides water resources engineering, ecosystem restoration, mitigation banking, and consulting services to an array of clients, including local and state government and conservation organizations. Our dedicated, motivated, and highly trained team has experience in all aspects of stream and wetland restoration, watershed planning and assessment, and water quality management. Wildlands Engineering is committed to a watershed and ecosystem approach to ecological restoration and water quality management, and we provide exceptional services to our clients in an uncompromisingly ethical, innovative, and time-sensitive manner.
· Coordinate with project managers and multi-disciplinary team members to design, permit and oversee implementation of ecosystem restoration and water resource engineering projects.
· Assist with field geomorphic surveys, sediment sampling, and site evaluation.
· Prepare technical reports and exhibits to support planning and design phases of projects.
· Complete hydrologic and hydraulic calculations using spreadsheet tools and modeling programs such as HEC-RAS, PC-SWMM.
· Develop design data based on reference reach evaluation, hydraulic modeling data, site constraints and opportunities analysis, and sediment transport methods. Complete sediment studies and transport evaluations.
· Complete linear design for streams using alignments, profiles, and typical sections. Use design to prepare grading and surface modeling in AutoCAD Civil 3D using corridor modeling, and other manual and automated surface modeling grading techniques.
· Assist with permitting, bidding, construction, and as-built phases of projects.
· Work independently and on teams to complete project tasks in a timely manner with a high standard of quality.
· A four-year degree or post-graduate degree in biological systems, civil, agricultural, ecological, or environmental engineering, or related technical or natural resources field with design experience. All candidates should have a minimum of 1 year of relevant professional experience.
· Licensure as a Professional Engineer (PE) or Engineering Intern (EI), or a background in geomorphology, or related applied natural resources field is preferred
· Experience with design of ecosystem restoration projects and stormwater control measures.
· Experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D – competency with alignments, profiles, corridors, and surface modeling is preferred.
· Experience with the preparation of construction documents including construction plans, erosion control, bid estimates, technical specifications, and technical reporting.
· Proficiency using Microsoft Office including Excel.
· Hydraulic, hydrologic, and/or watershed modeling experience. Understanding of FEMA permitting requirements and modeling methods.
· A general understanding of ecological processes relevant to riparian and wetland restoration in the southeastern US.
· Must have valid driver’s license.
· Part of the job requirements and the physical demands are performed in outdoor weather conditions with frequent exposure to wet/humid conditions and extreme heat or cold. Other adverse factors may include exposure to ticks and poison ivy. Lifting supplies or equipment up to 50 lb.
Email (preferred method): firstname.lastname@example.org; subject line: Water Resources Engineer/Designer (include desired location as â€œAVLâ€, â€œKNOXâ€, or â€œAVL/KNOXâ€ if applying for either office)
Mailing Address: 1430 S. Mint Street, Suite 104, Charlotte, NC 28203
The cover letter should identify your previous work experience, why you are interested in this position, your preferred office location, your approximate available start date, and any other information that you feel is important. Please be prepared to provide contact information for two references, if requested.
Wildlands will not pay a fee to a recruiter or agency, nor will Wildlands consider resumes and applications submitted by a recruiter or agency, that does not have a signed agreement with Wildlands.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as received until positions are filled or until 12/31/2022.