Under the supervision of the Parks and Recreation Director. Recreation Assistant will perform duties associated with parks and recreation department programs and events. This position is responsible for providing outstanding customer service when assisting the public using various communication methods. Staff will need to be familiar with facilities, programs, and standard operating procedures.
Detailed Work Activities
- Work involves assisting Parks and Recreation Department staff with the planning, implementation, and oversight of a variety of department programs and events.
- Position will assist in marketing and outreach strategies to include design and distribution of material, management of mailing/email listservs and notifications, among others.
- Position will assist in maintenance and upkeep of recreation software to register participants, reserve space for programs and rentals, and processes reports.
- Establish and maintain contacts with area and regional organizations.
- Respond promptly and courteously to inquiries from the public, outside agencies and employees.
- Researches information and prepares reports for the department.
- Performs routine administrative work in support of the Parks and Recreation Department such as payroll, payables, deposits, record keeping and ordering.
- Provides support to Parks and Recreation Advisory Board meetings, maintains minutes, creates agenda packets, and uses the community engagement platform to host meetings.
- Performs other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the essential functions satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are a representation, not an all-inclusive listing, of the knowledge, skill and/or abilities required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Proven work experience in customer service.
Ability to work well with youth in a group setting to foster teamwork and facilitate ideas for community projects.
Experience in traditional and modern marketing methods.
Excellent communication skills.
Ability to plan, multitask, and manage time.
Well organized, detail oriented, creative, and self-motivated
Strong record keeping and reporting skills
Skill in operating computers and other standard office equipment.
Skill in interpersonal relations.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in establishing cooperative and productive working relationships.
Multiple language abilities appreciated
Knowledge of social media marketing.
Experience working with Microsoft Office suite required.
Must be able to perform the basic life operational skills of climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, fingering, grasping, talking, hearing and repetitive motions.
Must be able to perform medium work, exerting up to 30 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to lift objects.
Must possess the visual acuity to prepare and analyze written or computer data, depth and color perception, use of measuring devices, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, observing general surroundings and activities.
Must possess the auditory ability to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by the means of the spoken word.
Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, hazards, and atmospheric conditions.
Desirable Education and Experience
Bachelorâ€™s Degree in Parks and Recreation, Business Management or related field, preferred.
One to three years work experience preferred; will consider combination of education and experience.
CPR/First Aid Certified or ability to become certified within 3 months of hire.
Possession of a valid North Carolina driverâ€™s license.