Resource Management Service, LLC. (RMS) is a global forestry-centered investment manager with
significant expertise in all phases of institutional timberland investing. Founded and managed by
forestry professionals and owned by its employees, RMS is headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama,
with offices across the U.S. South and Brazil.
The Forest Planner is a technical expert who supports valuation functions of RMS’s timberland
investments. These functions include current asset strategic plans, acquisition and disposition
analysis, and decision-making support for the Operations and Investment Management Groups. The
position is primarily responsible for supporting activity in the U.S. South but will also be involved
with international projects when required. The position carries overall responsibility for leading the
modeling process to develop and maintain strategic wood flow plans, acquisitions and performing
other forest and financial analytics work to support the needs of the business.
• Develop and update long-term plans and internal valuations for assets under management.
• Provide harvest scheduling and valuation support for acquisition and disposition projects.
• Retail land sale analysis.
• Support the independent appraisal process by providing information and critical review of
• Provide decision-support analysis for operations and investment management.
• Long-term Plans: Develop and update strategic wood flow plans ensuring operational
feasibility and forward-looking return implications.
• Appraisals: Provide data and analysis to support the annual independent appraisal of existing
• Reporting: Develop and improve reports ensuring gains in process efficiency, consistency,
o Monitoring and managing the integrity of forest description data
o Analyzing business variance (i.e., plan versus actual, plan versus previous plan)
o Assisting Operations and Investment Management staff to analyze and communicate
strategic investment alternatives and performance
• Acquisitions/Dispositions Support: Provide support for the evaluation of potential
o Data conversion
o Wood flow and financial modelling
o Due diligence, field visits, spatial analysis, cost benchmarking etc.
o Sensitivity analysis
• Analysis and Decision Support: Identify and communicate Value Add opportunities for
potential and existing investments.
• RMS-wide Contribution: Responsible for effective communication with RMS staff to share
knowledge and leverage RMS’s operating scale to increase overall company performance.
• Minimum requirement of a bachelor-level degree in forestry or related field.
• Additional qualifications preferred:
o Post-graduate qualification (e.g. Masters in Forestry, MBA, etc.)
o Other bachelor-level qualification (Business/Finance, Science, Statistics, Computer
o Forest Modeling experience strongly desired
• Good business acumen and understanding of the main drivers of value in a forestry business.
• Proficiency or ability to learn commonly-used forest management and data management
tools such as:
o SQL Server
o MS Access
o Linear Programming concepts and processes
• Knowledge of Remsoft’s suite of products preferred.
• Knowledge of any coding language is a plus
• High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office products: