Position Title: Forester and/or Forestry Associate (two different positions are open)
Application Period: The sooner the better, rolling applications until candidate found, but preferred by Oct. 1 2021
Starting work as soon as possible.
Work Location: Asheville NC, but significant remote, home-office work during COVID is encouraged, and ongoing part-
time work from home is an option; regular field work within an hour drive of Asheville NC is required.
Salary: $17-$22/hour (no benefits) depending on experience ($22+/hr possible once an NC Registered Forester).
Flexible schedule: Up to 40 hrs/wk, Minimum 30 hrs/week.
Mission Statement: EcoForesters is a non-profit professional forestry organization dedicated to conserving and restoring
our Appalachian forests through stewardship and education.
Purpose of Position: Assess forestlands and write comprehensive ecological forest stewardship plans that improve the
ecological, economic, and social benefits provided by our clients’ forests. Assist in, or lead, invasive plant control, forest
stand improvement work, as well as timber sales & appraisals. Other work as needed to support EcoForesters’ mission.
1. Must be self-motivated and willing to take initiative on projects after training.
2. Must have, or be working toward, a degree in forestry, natural resources, or closely related field, or 2+ years relevant
3. Must be a good writer, able to clearly write reports that describe forest conditions and stewardship
4. Must be proficient in basic GPS and GIS applications.
5. Must be able to work well with others.
6. Must be skilled in the collection of forestry and ecological field data.
7. Must be proficient in identification of southern Appalachian tree species and non-native invasive plants.
8. Must be adept at using a compass, GPS, and reading maps to navigate in rough, remote terrain.
9. Must be capable of field work alone in remote locations (usually within several miles of road), on difficult terrain
(steep, mountainous, thick understory vegetation) in adverse conditions (hot, cold, or rain).
10. Must be skilled in data management and analysis with programs such as Microsoft Excel.
1. Strong preference for someone qualified to become an NC Registered Forester, that is: working towards, or has, an
SAF-approved degree, or equivalent educational background.
2. Two years or more of experience working in forestry or related profession.
3. Knowledge and experience in forest management and forest stand improvement (e.g. invasive control) and
supervising others in such work.
4. Is a good writer with ample experience preparing reports that describe forest conditions and stewardship
5. Is skilled in the use of GIS and GPS.
6. Has experience and is comfortable interacting with clients, giving public presentations, and supervising employees.
7. Is experienced in the collection of forestry and ecological field data and in the identification of southern Appalachian
8. Has experience and knowledge of southern Appalachian forest ecosystems and their management.
9. Has experience using software such as Microsoft Excel and/or Access to organize, store, and analyze forestry data
using all standard forestry metrics (e.g. BA, TPA, timber volumes).
10. Is skilled in forest finance, wildlife management, water resource management, botany, educational outreach, and/or
other related skill sets that can enhance the services provided by EcoForesters or the development of our organization.