Photo of Allie McCrearyAbout Me

I am a PhD student in Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management and the Center for Geospatial Analytics. My advisers are Drs. Erin Seekamp and Jordan Smith. My research interests are centered on human dimensions of natural resource management, specifically, outdoor recreation (and nature-based tourism) management. My dissertation research is exploring the influences and impacts of climate change within a nature-based, tourism-dependent region: the North Shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota. I am excited to use mixed methods (quantitative survey data, qualitative ‘photovoice,’ and agent-based modeling/geospatial analysis) to assess the relationship between climate and North Shore recreation & tourism. For more information, you can reach me at: amccrea@ncsu.edu
Also important to note: I am originally from the St. Louis, MO area and a Cardinal’s fan for life.

Who has been most influential to you?

Enlightening instructors as an undergrad, Dr. Jean Mangun and Dr. Mae Davenport, and a challenging (yet very rewarding experience!) Masters committee, Drs. Erin Seekamp, Lee Cerveny, and Andrew Carver, helped me to realize my passion for research. They introduced me to the world of social science and qualitative research, for which I am very thankful. Other graduate students have also been influential in selecting my research interests.
Growing up spending quality time with family and friends camping, hiking, canoeing, and bike riding was influential in directing me towards a career in outdoor recreation/natural resources. Employment with the Forest Service and nature-based non-profits has also influenced my curiosity towards managing natural resources and recreation amenities for current and future generations.

Professional Goal

After completing my PhD, I would like to work as professor, teaching classes on social science of natural resources and parks, recreation and tourism and continuing to grow my research agenda. I plan to incorporate work with federal, state, and local agencies as well as private entities and non-profit organizations into my research and application of knowledge, as all of these sectors share a vested interest in the sustainability of recreation resources.

Previous Degrees and Where I Received These Degrees

I received a B.S. in Forestry Recreation with a minor in Environmental Studies from Southern Illinois University – Carbondale (SIUC) in 2008. I returned to SIUC to earn a Master of Science in Forestry, Human Dimensions of Natural Resources Management in 2010.

“Words of Wisdom” for Prospective Students

Don’t set out to write the perfect manuscript with the first draft; first just write what you can, with the information (and time!) you have and then work to improve on it — using faculty and other students to help you refine your ideas and writing. Make the most of each day by breaking research, writing, and classes into smaller tasks; give yourself frequent, achievable due dates.

My Leisure Interests

In my free time I enjoy hiking and camping with my son, who is wildlife expert, and will find every creepy-crawly on the trail! I also enjoy swimming, boating, and biking. I am an avid reader and love a good book recommendation. If I have any leisure time after all that, you may find me taking in some live music, bluegrass in one of my favorite genres.