Charlynne_SmithAbout Me

I grew up in North Carolina and have worked in the field of natural resources, parks and recreation management for over 20 years. While working on my Ph.D., I serve in a dual role for the College of Natural Resources as a GIS Research Associate with the Center for Geospatial Analytics and with PRTM and Recreation Resources Service. My work engaging with communities and professionals in our field led to my research focus on participatory geographic information systems (PGIS) for natural resource management, planning and the stakeholder communication process. My co- advisors are Yu-Fai Leung and Erin Seekamp.

Dissertation Topic: Adoption and implementation of participatory GIS technologies in natural resource management networks. My research will examine the National Trails System to identify factors that affect the capacity of trail networks to implement participatory web-mapping tools for collaboration among trail partners.

Who has been most influential to you?

So many people have been influential; it’s difficult to recognize one person. Both my colleagues and many of the PRTM department faculty members (past & present) have influenced my educational journey. Of course family, especially my husband, has influenced me through their support as I balance work and school.

Professional Goal

Continue my work in higher education as a scholar and educator in the area of human dimensions of natural resources and related applications of geospatial information technologies.

Previous Degrees and Where I Received these Degrees

My degrees are from NC State University. I received a B.S. in Recreation Resources Administration and then worked in the field as a park ranger, environmental educator and historic site manager. I returned with a focus on park planning to earn a master’s degree in Natural Resources Administration, with Hugh Devine as my advisor, specializing in spatial information systems with a minor concentration in landscape architecture.

I am a Fellow of the NCSU Natural Resources Leadership Institute (NRLI). The program curriculum focuses on leadership, conflict resolution, and collaborative problem solving then culminates in a practicum involving others who have a stake in the outcome to develop collaborative solutions to natural resource issues.

“Words of Wisdom” for Prospective Students

Follow your passion, find a research area that excites you because you will spend a lot of time with it!

My Leisure Interests

Most anything outdoors. My husband and I enjoy visiting state and national parks and hiking about with our dachshund, Rufus.