kaitlein mcardleAbout Me

Hi, I’m Kati (with an ‘i,’ no ‘e’) and I am pursuing a masters degree in Natural Resources through the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management. I am fortunate to be advised by Dr. Yu-Fai Leung and Dr. Michael Edwards, both of whom are also faculty leaders on The Corps Network trail and habitat assessment project I have been working on as a research assistant. For my masters project, I am planning to go in a similar direction, creating an assessment tool for coastal parks and recreation areas that can be used in conjunction with community involvement.

Who has been most influential to you?

My folks back home in the Midwest should get the most credit for helping me on my way to a career in this area. I recall my mom stopping traffic once on a busy street in my hometown to escort a group of ducklings safely across the road. And my dad took us ‘camping’ in our backyard to help us acclimate to the rugged ways of life. Moments like this helped me learn to love and appreciate the extraordinary qualities of the natural world in every form, whether it be local wildlife sightings or breathtaking views of remote mountains. My younger sister, Kelsey, is also a true confidant and source of inspiration for me.

Professional Goal

I intend to work in a capacity that will allow me to interact with communities and the public as well as natural resources themselves, such as with a non-profit or government agency. Writing is also important to me, so doing that in a professional capacity would be another primary goal.

Previous Degrees and Where I Received these Degrees

B.A., Professional Writing; B.S., Environmental Studies and Agriscience — Michigan State University

“Words of Wisdom” for Prospective Students

Regardless of which school you attend, I truly believe that your experience is about what you make of it. Starting out the process with a positive attitude and willingness to challenge yourself will set the tone for your time in grad school, wherever that may be.

My Leisure Interests

I am always up for making progress through a stack of novels (slowly but surely), particularly following something more strenuous such as yoga or a leisurely jog. I also try to visit national parks as if that is my job (I hope someday it will be), and constantly have my ears open for new music, or something that I missed before.