About MeBruno

Born and raised in a small village of Portugal’s countryside I pursued college studies in Lisbon, and then taught physical education in schools around the country for several years. Furthering my educational degree, I volunteered to teach other educators in classroom training and adult literacy in Mozambique. Following six months of harsh living conditions there, an opportunity opened in Norway, where I lived for 3 years, training several fellow educators for their positions in the African setting I had just left. This led to a community development project manager position in rural and impoverished Bahia, Brazil, focusing on development through sport and tourism microentrepreneurship.

At NC State, I’ve worked with advisors Dr. Duarte Morais, Dr. Kyle Bunds and Dr. Jeffrey Pollack in the definition, conceptualization and operationalization of Tourism e-Microentrepreneurial Self-Efficacy (TeMSE).  Currently I am pursuing my Doctoral Degree as I continue my career in working with others at People-First Tourism, a participatory action-research project that engenders economic opportunities through tourism microentrepreneurship.

Who has been most influential to you?

My dear wife inspires me to set high standards for myself and always supports me whenever I have to go out and live up to that. My countryman, José Mourinho, arguably the best association football manager in the world, taught me that hard work, dedication, perseverance and ambition are the four cornerstones of success.

Professional Goal

Become a consultant/researcher/lecturer in the hybrid field of Tourism Studies, Social Entrepreneurship, and Development.

Previous Degrees and Where I Received These Degrees

B.S. in Sport Sciences – specialization in Physical Education and School Sport, Technical University of Lisbon, 2005, Portugal.

M.S. in Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management, North Carolina State University, 2016, USA.

“Words of Wisdom” for Prospective Students

Research should be meaningful. Think about ways you can help those around you.

My Leisure Interests

I love to play and watch all kinds of sports, in particular association football. I also like to listen to music and attend concerts. My favorite styles are ethnic, a capella, classical and heavy-metal. Cooking is another passion. I’ve done live cooking demonstrations and really love to treat my friends with my delicacies.