elizabeth oliphantAbout Me

I am pursuing a master’s degree in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management and a GIS certificate in the College of Natural Resources. I am currently working as a research assistant on several projects, including ParkIndex with Dr. Aaron Hipp and The Corps Network trail and habitat assessment project with Dr. Michael Edwards. I grew up in Arlington, Virginia where I got my love of history and current events from living so close to DC and other historic East coast sites. It wasn’t until I moved to Utah that I really discovered my passion for outdoor recreation in places like Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce and Zion National Parks. I have fallen in love with the National Parks System and their guiding philosophy to protect these public lands for generations to come.

Who has been most influential to you?

This is a hard question to answer since there are many people how have influenced and inspired me throughout my life, but I would have to credit my parents and my sister with being the most influential. They have always had my back, been great sounding boards, and supported my goals.

Professional Goal

I would love to work for a federal land agency here in the U.S. or any land management agency anywhere in the world. My goal is to get people into the outdoors through responsible recreational practices and conservation so that there are always protected natural spaces to experience.

Previous Degrees and Where I Received these Degrees

BA in History with a minor is Spanish from Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah.

“Words of Wisdom” for Prospective Students

Never undervalue your own perspectives and experiences. So much of grad school is about thinking beyond the class lectures and readings, and looking at what you can bring to the discipline. Enjoy your classes and build strong relationships with teachers, mentors, advisers, and fellow students.

My Leisure Interests

Hiking and being outside, watching and playing soccer, traveling (when time and money allow!), and seeing my nieces and nephews whenever I can.