Elke Grether

About Me

Originally from Oklahoma, I am a Master/Ph.D. student working with Dr. Kathryn Stevenson and Dr. Carla Barbieri measuring the effects of agricultural experiences on ag literacy in elementary students. After obtaining my undergraduate degree I was accepted into Teach For America (TFA), an AmeriCorps program, and taught for three years in Title I schools in Oklahoma. This experience shed light on the disconnect often felt between urban, low-income, and underserved populations and agriculture. My aim is to begin bridging this gap by incorporating agricultural experiences into everyday life for everyone – no matter the demographic.

Who has been most influential to you?

From single-handedly running a successful farm to raising six children independently, my mother has shaped me into the woman I am today. Thanks to her, I grew up realizing the rewards of hard work and determination, importance of staying true to oneself, and strength of conviction. Without my mother, I would not be here today – reaching my goals and pursuing my dream.

Professional Goal

I intend to remain in academia as a professor teaching and working with agriculture in underserved populations.

Previous Degrees and Where I Received these Degrees

B.S. of Plant and Soil Sciences – Oklahoma State University

“Words of Wisdom” for Prospective Students

Make connections – with professionals, professors, industry folk, graduate students, travelers, everyone you meet. As a wise professor once told me: “It’s not about who you know, but who knows you.”

My Leisure Interests

Traveling and exploring new places, writing, art, fashion design, and time in nature.