Suet Yi Cheung – Doctoral Student

About Me

I am a PhD student working under Dr. Yu-Fai Leung on visitors’ impacts and trail management in the protected area. I am originally from Hong Kong where I grew up and had my Bachelor degree. My athletic career and experience allows me to explore cultures and natural environment in different countries. It encouraged me to pursue my Bachelor’s degree and Master’s degree with a geography major specialized in geomorphology. My enthusiasm in geomorphology shaped my current research focus, which is to study the environmental impacts induced by the recreational activities in different natural landscapes, and methodology of managing those activities as well as restoring the disturbed landscapes. 

Who has been most influential to you?

My parents and brother give enormous support to me and encourage me to pursue my interests, both academia and athletic career.

Professional Goal

My goal is to become a professor or a government official who manages the national and country parks which allows me to contribute to the academic field by conducting further researches related to human-induced land degradation, and raises the public awareness of the impacts of the recreational activities on a natural landscape. 

Previous Degrees and Where I Received these Degrees:

B.A. in Geography and Resource Management, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong

M.A. in Geography, Arizona State University, AZ, USA

“Words of Wisdom” for Prospective Students

Don’t forget there’s world outside the academia. Keeps the batteries charged.

My Leisure Interests

Fencing, hiking, kayaking, traveling, spending time with friends and my dog!