2019 Outstanding Ph.D. Student Award: Danielle Lawson

Getting to Know Outstanding Ph.D Award Recipient: Danielle Lawson

How do you feel about winning the Outstanding Ph.D Student Award?

I was honored and surprised to be chosen! Our department has multiple deserving Ph.D. students, and it meant a lot that I was the choice for this past year.

What made you decide to major in Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management & why did you want to get your Ph.D?

I decided to major in PRTM in order to work with my adviser, Dr. Kathryn Stevenson. However, majoring in PRTM has also opened my eyes even more to the interdisciplinary nature of our field, and I am so glad I can now call myself a Leisure scholar. I have always wanted to be a professor, which is why I decided to get my Ph.D.

Danielle and Dr. Kathryn Stevenson

What was you favorite project you’ve worked on as of yet?

I have worked on many wonderful projects however, without a doubt my favorite was my dissertation project. I loved getting to work personally with the teachers, and seeing the incredible impact they have on their students and local communities.

Where do you get your personal motivation?

My motivation comes from my desire to help forge connections between people and the natural world. Although, on those days that I am lacking motivation, I lean on the satisfaction of seeing a completely finished to-do list, then take time for myself at the end of the day.

What has been a highlight of your time at NC State as of yet?

The highlight of my time at NCSU has been getting to work with so many different people from various backgrounds, professions, interests, and more. I love getting to learn about other people’s stories, and forging connections with those people when possible.

What has been the biggest “life lesson” you’ve had on your Ph.D journey?

I cannot do it all! It is fun to get to say “yes” to as many opportunities as possible, but it is more important to try to find a sense of balance in life so that you do not burn out.

What is your dream job?

To work in a position where I can help find ways to build community through youth in order to promote social change. I could see this being in the role of a professor, consultant, etc.