Lauren Gibson – Doctoral Student

Home Town: Carmel, Indiana
Undergraduate Degree: BS in Earth Systems, focus in conservation biology (Stanford University)
Graduate Degree: MA in Earth Systems, focus in environmental communication and education (Stanford University)  
Primary Research Interest: the impact young people have on the environment
Advisor: Dr. Kathryn Stevenson

About Me
I work with Dr. Kathryn Stevenson researching the impact that high school students can have on their community’s environmental beliefs and decisions. I’m thrilled to use research to more fully understand the power of young people!
I come to NC State from Washington, D.C., where I worked for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in their Office of Education. I still work for NOAA part-time as a contractor, focusing on developing a new youth summit program in partnership with aquariums across North America. I look forward to finding the areas of overlap between this work and my research at NC State.
Who has been most influential to you?
I’ve had the privilege of having some pretty incredible mentors throughout my life. I’m especially grateful for the powerful women who have taught me how to speak my mind and know my value. My mom was (and continues to be!) a huge influence on my life. She brought me into natural places from an early age and did an incredible job finding and fostering my young excitement for animals–even when that meant giving me sunflower seeds so that I could sit in our backyard for hours, seeds in hand, trying to befriend the local birds.
I also owe a great deal to Dr. Jane Goodall. My life changed when I heard her speak about the power of youth when I was in middle school. Her talk inspired me to create a small youth environmental grant program in my hometown in Indiana, and that started me down a path towards the environmental education work I do today.
Professional Goal
My ultimate goal–both in my professional life and my personal life–is to help people understand their ability to make a positive difference for the environment. Several different job paths could lead me towards that goal. I could see myself going back into an environmental education-focused position with the government. I could also see myself working for a nonprofit or informal education institution with a similar focus. Finally, I could see myself staying in a more research-heavy environment, either as an academic or as an external evaluator for environmental education programs.
Previous Degrees and Where I Received these Degrees
M.A. in Earth Systems (focus in environmental communication and education) – Stanford University
B.S. in Earth Systems (focus in conservation biology) – Stanford University
“Words of Wisdom” for Prospective Students
Mentors matter! Meet with potential advisors when you’re considering your graduate school options. The happiest graduate students I know are those who have awesome relationships with their advisors; the most common stories of frustration always seem to center around an advisor-student mismatch. Talk with your potential advisor and their students to get a feel for whether you would work well together.
My Leisure Interests
When I’m not at school or working, you can usually find me swing dancing. (It’s physically impossible to frown while swing dancing, so dancing keeps me sane during stressful times and amplifies my joy during happy times.) I also love exploring new outdoor areas, lifting weights, and trying out new vegetarian recipes.