Alumni Spotlight: Tyson Chandler

Tyson Chandler, NC State Alumni and athlete was born in Irvington, New Jersey where he earned All-Conference, All-County, All-Area and All-State honors by the time he graduated high school. He started his college career at Fork Union Military Academy where he spent one semester before accepting a full scholarship to attend and play football at NC State. The transition went very smoothly for Tyson which he credits with the academic staff at NC State who supported him throughout the process.

In addition to being a three-year starter on the football team, he also played in three bowl games and graduated with a BS in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management in May of 2014. Tyson then started the next step in his athletic career when he signed with the NFL Buffalo Bills as a free agent.

Tyson has recently taken on another passion in his life as Co-Founder of Overtime Athletics – Triangle along with fellow PRTM Alumni T.Y. McGill. “My favorite part is helping motivate and mold the youth. Giving them tools I didn’t have at their age is what really drives me to connect with every school throughout North Carolina,” says Tyson.

A Conversation with Tyson

What was your favorite memory from NC State?

Beating ranked teams at home. Nothing like it.

What made you decide to get a degree in PRTM?

I love sports obviously, but I always worked in hotels leading up to college and wanted to pursue a career there.

Was there a teacher or advisor that had an effect on your career/life?

Dr. Goode Vick! She is amazing and I wish her the best in her retirement.

How was your experience playing college football and how did it prepare you for professional football?

I loved playing football at NC State and the fans are the best in the state. As far as preparing me for life after football, I think my biggest take away comes from Coach Thunder. It was that working hard and through the distractions will give you great results, I will always remember him saying “block out the noise.” Along with other motivational phases we won’t mention here. Tyson’s Senior Spotlight

Tell us more about OverTime Athletics and what do you enjoy about it the most?

Basically, we’re an enrichment program that goes into elementary schools for 1-2 hours after school gets out and implements different sports programs based on what that particular school chooses.  We also offer summer camps, leagues and clinics and break camps for days that school might not be in session during the school year. Our programs can provide a vehicle for fitness, self-esteem, team work, and a variety of other ideas and concepts that today’s youth need to embrace before embarking on healthy teenage and adult years.