Skip to main content

The Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management offers Graduate Assistantships to our on-campus doctoral and master’s degree students. A full, 20-hour/week assistantship carries a stipend, and it covers tuition and health insurance in accordance with the NC State Graduate Student Support Plan. The number of assistantships varies each year dependent on the amount and sources of funds. You are not required to apply for them separately, just apply to our graduate program using our convenient web-based application system. Below is a brief description of each assistantship type:

Graduate Teaching Assistantships (GTA)

Graduate Teaching Assistants support the department’s teaching mission and its high-quality undergraduate academic programs. GTAs serve as teaching assistants, lab instructors, or as instructor of record for one or more classes. They typically assist with instructional activities such as lectures, developing assignments and projects, grading and records keeping, and student advising.

Graduate Research Assistantships (GRA)

Graduate Research Assistants support the department’s research mission and its vibrant research programs. GRAs are fully engaged in research activities, such as literature review, research design, data collection and analysis, and results dissemination. Student research activities typically contribute directly to the student’s thesis or dissertation. Specific research assistantship opportunities will be posted on this page as they become available.

Global Change Fellows

The Global Change Fellows Program is designed to train the next generation of global change scientists by providing financial, scientific, and professional development support for graduate students who are interested in multi-disciplinary research. They come together across disciplines to discover, collaborate, and share their knowledge with diverse stakeholders. Additionally, students need to be dedicated to making the science related to climate change better, where better means more true, of a greater impact, or, as our land grant mission dictates, more ethical and just. This program is sponsored by the DOI Southeast Climate Adaptation Science Center and NC State University. Applicants must be an NC State student and nominated by a SE CASC Faculty Affiliate. The nomination process begins in January of each year. View the Global Change Fellows page to learn more.