Graduate from one of the country’s leading master’s programs in 2 years!
- Expand your professional opportunities
- Take one course at a time
- Average graduation rate of 93% of students in 2 years
- 7-week semesters
- No GRE required with two years work experience
Apply by June 1st to join our Fall 2018 cohort!
The online master’s degree provides students with a solid professional and business education designed to advance their career development in parks, recreation, tourism, and sport industries. The courses are matched with the needs of industry. The faculty are national and international leaders in their fields who are dedicated to providing students with the skills they will need to lead and to gain a competitive advantage in their chosen field. Students can continue to work full-time while taking one course at a time and still complete all degree requirements in two years.
The flexible learning environment accommodates the demands of full-time employment. The contemporary instructional methods emphasize group discussions, frequent interactions with faculty and meaningful assignments which provide valuable skills and knowledge critical for career advancement.
Successful Graduates Demonstrate:
- an in-depth knowledge of the conceptual foundations of recreation, parks, tourism, and sport;
- an in-depth knowledge of the impacts of recreation, parks, tourism, and sport on active-healthy lifestyles and sustainable communities, and their connection to contemporary societal issues;
- a foundation in advanced principles and procedures of management and ethical leadership (e.g., administration, marketing, human resources, risk management, finance and budgeting) for the delivery of recreation, parks, tourism, and sport services; and
- the ability to apply basic principles of research and evaluation related to recreation, parks, tourism, and sport services.
Master’s Program Features:
- 31 Credit Hours to Graduate
- Accelerated Course Format delivered through a variety of online technologies that facilitate student-to-student and student-to-instructor interactions. Students take one course at a time for 7 weeks (2 courses per 15 week semester).
- No GRE is Required for applicants with a minimum of two years full-time professional work experience. Applicants with less than two years work experience will be required to take either the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) to be considered for admission into the program.
- Students Admitted as a Cohort in the fall semester of each year. Admitted students will attend an on-campus orientation at the beginning of their first semester (mid August) and a mid-degree check-up and workshop at the beginning of their second year (mid August).
- Emphasis on Key Management Functions indicative of parks, recreation, tourism and sport industries ensure students graduate with a mastery of advanced principles and procedures of management and ethical leadership (e.g., administration, marketing, organizational behavior, risk management, finance and budgeting) for the delivery of recreation, parks, tourism, and sport services.
Getting admitted to the Online Master’s of Parks, Recreation & Tourism Management (PRTM) makes you an important member of the PRTM professional family. We recognize that your decision to join our Online Master’s program represents an important step in your professional development and we are committed to providing you with an experience that will exceed your expectations.
Learn more about resources available to you as a graduate student in our program and to access important information, forms and procedures.
Our Online Master’s Degree is specifically designed for people like you that continue to work full-time while working on their degree.
“This program has been a game changer in a positive way. I have already applied many of the things learned into my career. I was the recipient of the 2015 Georgia Recreation & Park Association New Initiative Grant, and was able to write a successful grant due to the lessons I learned in Fiscal Management. As this journey ends the possibilities are endless. I am eager to see what comes next both in my professional and personal life.” — Lindsey Pritchard, PRTSM Graduate 2016
How do you know if an Online Master’s Degree is the best option for you?
Earning an online graduate degree has become increasing more popular due to the flexibility of scheduling, allowing students to work full-time jobs in addition to their studies. Attending on online school means you save time spent commuting; you save money on gas, parking, and other expenses such as babysitting.
Is an Online Master’s Degree as good as a traditional on-campus program?
Each year, more and more quality institutions like NC State University have made many of their programs available online. Top programs like Harvard Business School and MIT’s Sloan School of Management now offer online degree putting to rest concerns about the quality of an online education.
How can I find the time to take courses while working full-time?
Our Online Master’s in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management is specifically designed for people like you that continue to work full-time while working on their degree. Courses are structured in 7-week blocks, which means you only take one course at a time. Most of the required course activity (i.e., listening to lectures, participating in online class discussion) occur over a seven day period allowing you the flexibility to participate when you have the time. Required class meetings are entirely online and generally occur in the evenings.
Students must complete 22 credit hours of required courses and 9 credit hours of electives (31 credit hours total) to graduate. Read more about our courses and curriculum.
Tuition and Fees
Read more about our Graduate Tuition and Fees
How to Apply
Applications to start the program in Fall 2018 are due by JUNE 1st.
Learn why the PRTSM Online program was a winner for alumni Mike Sundheim, Vice President of Communications and Team Services for the Carolina Hurricanes NHL team.Read more